• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Border1984

New York
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I was recently pulled over and told that the vehicle I was driving did not have registration and that the insurance had lapsed. While I was looking for my insurance card the officer asked if he could search my vehicle. I said yes. He looked through my front seat and pulled out a little piece of what he said looked like crack. Other officers showed up and proceeded to question me. I told him that it can't be crack because I have never done drugs, and I am never around anyone who does drugs. The car is my parents and they are the only other people who drive the car, and I know they don't do drugs, especially not crack. The officers agreed that I did not look like someone who does crack (I like my parents am very large)and continued to joke around about it all the way through my booking. They decided to handcuff me and take me to the holding center where I was quickly booked and let go. They said they were going to run the evidence through the lab to see if it was in fact crack cocaine. The strange part is that he only searched the front and back of my car quickly, not the trunk or any compartments. He did not tow the car, in fact when my parents came to get it they asked an officer who just happened to be there to run the plates and he said they came up fine. We have proof of insurance and registration. I have recently graduated with a degree in elementary education and something like this could squash my career pretty quickly. The officers were very adamant that it looked and felt like crack. The only possible way I can fathom that it got in my car is that I do a lot of volunteer work in the inner city and maybe it got stuck on my shoe or some other one in a million chance kind of circumstance. My court date is in a week, should I have a lawyer there? If this does turn out to be crack, is there any way that I can prove that I had nothing to do with it?

Thank You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">