• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug arrest and school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockxaction

What is the name of your state? TX

I was a passenger in a car with 2 other people when we were pulled over for a routine traffic stop. The officer claimed to smell marijuana, and pulled us all out. They found what was later told to me to be 2-4 ounces, making it a class A misdemeanor. It was found in the juvenile passenger's bag and pockets, but neither myself nor the other adult (driver) knew of it or had any on us or were under the influence.

With this in mind, is it possible that my school will kick me out? I haven't been convicted of anything, but I was arrested.

Thanks for any help

The Occultist

It could be argued that you were technically in possession since you were in the same vehicle, but practically, I really don't see that happening.

rockxaction

It could be argued that you were technically in possession since you were in the same vehicle, but practically, I really don't see that happening.
That is, in essence, what the officer told us. "Because you were in arm's reach."
Will that hold up in court or am I likely to get my charges dismissed?

CdwJava

That is, in essence, what the officer told us. "Because you were in arm's reach."
Will that hold up in court or am I likely to get my charges dismissed?
You did not say that you were charged. Were you? If so, do you know the statute under which you will be prosecuted?

The school can administratively do what they wish - this is separate from the legal problem, and they don't have to only suspend the people who were caught with it. if the school feels they have cause to suspend you, they will. if you have been charged with possession, this is more likely.

- Carl

rockxaction

You did not say that you were charged. Were you? If so, do you know the statute under which you will be prosecuted?

The school can administratively do what they wish - this is separate from the legal problem, and they don't have to only suspend the people who were caught with it. if the school feels they have cause to suspend you, they will. if you have been charged with possession, this is more likely.

- Carl
I am being charged with a class A misdemeanor as noted in § 481.121 (2) [I hope I cited that correctly?]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">