• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug dealing at workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

First, I am giving some background info to understand what is going on. I am at my wits end. I work at a non-profit animal shelter. I am the office manager, I have been there 3 years.
My Co-worker is the "kennel manager" ( I put that in quotations, because he sucks at it!) He is also supposed to be a dog trainer. He has been at the shelter for 7 years, the last 3(when I started was through a different operating group, because the previous group lost the shelter, for legitimate reasons, but many of the people in the new group were intregal in helping oust the old group and support him)
He has the Board members convinced that he is another Cesar Milan. (He isn't!) Many people who worked there have made complaints about him, which have been ignored. He brings 7-11 of HIS dogs there every day and they are unmannered, unruly, and totally NOT trained. Everyone who has compained about things he does(or doesnt) do, or he deems a "threat" somehow ends up either quiting, or fired(I am almost at the quit stage) He gets them fired by lying about them...They dont clean good, they are stealing, whatever it takes. I have suggested a security camera to catch the "theives", and he says No... it would be bad for "us" ( he thinks I'm a good ol party girl)
Here the drug part. I KNOW he is dealing/trading or whatever at work. It is a perfect senerio, being a business where anyone could just show up. He is really clever at being discreet. I have so far done nothing, because My job would be at stake if I say anything.
So.. I have purchased a hidden camera(clock), to put in the office, I also got a phone tap. I dont know that I trust the Sheriffs, as many of them know him well and appear to be freindly with him. I dont know how deep this goes. I am certain that deals are made on the phone, because I am not a stranger to "code" talking. I am also certain that he is getting pot to sell from his Brother-in-law, who is a Medical Marijuana grower and provider. I belevieve he is also dealing with prescription pain meds (found 3 lidocaine patches on the counter ), and even my own daughter, who never met him, heard hes a methhead.
So ultimatly.. is it illegal is it to secretly record and video stuff?

justalayman

So ultimatly.. is it illegal is it to secretly record and video stuff?
It is a felony to record a telephone conversation. Fines of $1000 to $100,000 and 1 year to 18 months in jail. Each act could be a separate charge. Using or disclosing the information obtained illegally is also a felony.

I didn't hunt up the eavesdropping issue but I am quite confident it too is likely illegal.

It is a felony to record a telephone conversation. Fines of $1000 to $100,000 and 1 year to 18 months in jail. Each act could be a separate charge. Using or disclosing the information obtained illegally is also a felony.

I didn't hunt up the eavesdropping issue but I am quite confident it too is likely illegal.
Many businesses have camera systems for crime. This I know is legal. the difference it will be installed by me secretly. My job is at stake, and this man is doing the dogs wrong.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Many businesses have camera systems for crime. This I know is legal. the difference it will be installed by me secretly.
So you do understand that what you'd be doing is illegal. We will not encourage you to commit illegal acts. Good day.

justalayman

Many businesses have camera systems for crime. This I know is legal. the difference it will be installed by me secretly. My job is at stake, and this man is doing the dogs wrong.
most systems do not record audio. There are exceptions such as informed consent.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is one thing for the employer to install a security camera. It is quite another thing for an individual employee to take it upon himself to do so, without permission or consent.

This could not only get you fired; it could land you in jail.

jiggy78

So let me make sure I understand your "plan".

You're going to interfere, on your own and without involving the police, between a drug dealer (who is presumably making a lot of money selling these drugs) and drug addicts (who generally don't take too kindly to people getting in the way of their supply). Do you have any idea what can happen to people who stick their heads where it doesn't belong?

Report your suspicions to the police anonymously. Don't be a meddler. You could literally end up being killed.

OHRoadwarrior

Get another job, before you bury yourself in this. Colorado is not a place to be playing drug games.

(I keep thinking about the bundle commercial. Buy 10 grams, get a free puppy!!!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">