• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Informants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m.eberly

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

What are the rights for drug Informants? If the accused is going to court does the informant HAVE to testify? Does his name stay out of anything to do with the court trials? Just give me all the info you have on this. Thanks in advance

Matt

outonbail

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

What are the rights for drug Informants? If the accused is going to court does the informant HAVE to testify? Does his name stay out of anything to do with the court trials? Just give me all the info you have on this. Thanks in advance

Matt
They have no more rights than anyone else has. In fact, many times they are already felons who have been busted and are looking at their second or third felony charge and some serious time, so they agree to roll over on their connection, or their source for illegal drugs, or provide information of significant value to the police, in order to have their charges reduced or dropped all together.

Being a felon, they have already lost certain rights. Most often, their right to refuse any law enforcement's request to search their person or property, their right to own a gun or other weapons, their right to vote, their right to sit on a jury etc.

As far as being a "confidential" informant, I wouldn't consider anything confidential in this day and age. The police may act like they are your friend and will help you as long as you help them, but in reality, they don't think much more of a snitch, than do the people they roll over on. If a case goes to trial and the defendant has a good attorney, the informant will eventually have to be identified and their credibility scrutinized.

It's like fighting fire with fire, your bound to get burned whenever your setting fires. If you should happen to expire when you're working with the police, don't expect any to be at your funeral service. They'll be busy, breaking in another informant.

Look at it this way, have you ever gone fishing? If you catch a nice big bass or trout, when you pull your hook out of it's mouth, are you ever worried about getting the worm back, or do you just reach into the bait box and grab you another one?

So volunteering to become an informant for the police, is the equivelant of volunteering to be the worm on a fishing trip,,,,,,

m.eberly

So if the case goes into trial, the C.I.'s pretty much are done being a informant since his cover will be blown? Or does just the prosecutor know who the informant is? ..

Another one, What if the informant isn't a felon or ever a bad prior record and hes putting someone away for awhile, They don't keep their name silent for the safety of the C.I?

19225-004

If you're just wondering whether or not the person you snitch on will know that it was you, the answer is probably yes. The police might just tell the person up front, like during questioning, they could just say "m.eberly already told us everything, so confess!"

PS. Why are you ratting people out?

m.eberly

If you're just wondering whether or not the person you snitch on will know that it was you, the answer is probably yes. The police might just tell the person up front, like during questioning, they could just say "m.eberly already told us everything, so confess!"

PS. Why are you ratting people out?
It's not by choice there buddy, and it's saving my ass by putting a worthless cokehead/dealer in prison. And the reason i want to know about my rights because its a couple thousand dollars worth of drugs here with a big prison sentence.

Last edited:

outonbail

It's not buy choice there buddy, and it's saving my ass by putting a worthless cokehead/dealer in prison. And the reason i want to know about my rights because its couple thousand dollars worth of drugs here with a big prison sentence.
Are you saying that you were caught with a couple of thousand dollars worth of coke and are facing the long prison sentence?

While there are significant pieces of truth to this... on the whole, it's very cynical and inaccurate.
While it may be a bit cynical, in the majority of cases, I don't think I would consider it inaccurate.

Much of the informant world is infested with underhanded felons only trying to save their own worthless a$$. It is a two sided sword though and the police do get burned by these informants now and then. However, they also have the option to refile the original charges against the informant for not keeping their end of the bargain.

I do know of a girl who the police coerced into being an informant under the pretense it was for just one case. She did as they wanted and shortly after they wanted her to do another one for them. When she said no, she wouldn't do it again, they threatened to give her up to the people she had already snitched on for them, if she didn't help them again. I know this girl personally and know for a fact that this happened.

So to me the whole informant thing is a shady business which operates on the reliability of drug addicts and felons, neither of which I'd want working in my business!

19225-004

It's not by choice there buddy, and it's saving my ass by putting a worthless cokehead/dealer in prison.
Oh...sorry
I didn't know you were the guy in charge of determining someone's worth as a human being, or else I wouldn't have asked.

m.eberly

No, I'm not the one facing jail time. I just did something stupid and they are making me do this... What i did doesn't really involve drugs or anything, I don't want to get into that story.

m.eberly

Oh...sorry
I didn't know you were the guy in charge of determining someone's worth as a human being, or else I wouldn't have asked.
I just don't like dealers, they just F*** up peoples lives. If it was up to me i would line them all up and take em out..

BL

I overheard the head of a narcotics department tell their informants , go ahead do it up all ya want , we just want the big guys .

And that's what they want the dealers , up the ladder .

When the informant " snitches " , or " rats " , a case will be started , an official officer under cover will try to get in the mix , most likely through the informant .

When the undercover gets the sale or info. he's looking for " boom " , busted .

Often times if the informant is there , they will pretend to bust him/her too , but if they're not there it doesn't matter , the cops got what they were looking for .

Last edited:

smutlydog

I just don't like dealers, they just F*** up peoples lives. If it was up to me i would line them all up and take em out..
I think that people who do drugs do a pretty good job of screwing up their own lives without much help from dealers. If coke didn't exist they would find something else to abuse. The problem stems from the inability to cope with every day problems. There are allot of complicated reasons for this and drug dealers have nothing to do with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">