• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Possession in a different State-what are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyB

What is the name of your state?
The state that this event occured was in Massachusetts, but I live in the Midwest.
I was in Boston for 3 days by myself for work. On the last night, I was walking around the Chinatown area after having a few drinks. I came upon a guy trying to sell me drugs, women-- whatever I wanted. I just asked him where a pub was. He told me and asked me if I wanted any cocaine. In a moment of poor decision, I bought a small amount of what I thought was cocaine. It turned out that (big surprise) that it was crack cocaine. I left the man and went on my way. I turned left at the end of the block and went down to a club at the next road. It was 30 minutes before the club was closing and the cover was still $20. I walked ut and went around the block basically heading to the area that I encountered the drug dealer. This time he had moved from his original spot and was right around the corner from the club. I walked past and he started talking to me again about some women he was trying to pimp to me. I was just trying to get on my way when he says "lets walk, the police are creeping." 5 seconds later the cops roll up and start searching the man and myself. When I say searching, I mean patting us down, going through my pockets and eventually finding the drugs in the right front change pocket of my jeans. I was handcuffed and co-operated with the officers. Apparently, they other guy was known for selling drugs in the area and he was almost immediately put into the car. I told them that I had bought it from him answered all of their questions about myself. They seem to think that the drugs were fake, but were going to have to have it tested. They let me go without arresting me and told me I would get a letter in the mail in a few months. Long story short, it was less than two weeks later when I was back home and I got a letter in the mail giving me less than 4 weeks to travel all the way back to boston (14 hour drive) and attend my court hearing. I tried to call the courts to see if I can have it delayed but I seem to be going in circles. They said I have to call the person who filed the complaint about me. His name is on my report, but I don't know if this is the police officer who stopped me or what. Also, the report said that the officers witnessed the dealer and myself exchange money for an "unknown substance." This is confusing because the transaction had taken place aprox. 5 minutes before I had essentially walked around the block and ran into this man again.
Now, I am not sure why I was searched in the first place. I assume it is because either the man was known as a drug dealer or because for the brief moment that I had been talking to this man again we might have moved in a way that looked like we were trading money.. I don't understand why I was not arrested. I don't understand what penalties I am facing from a state that I don't even reside in. I have read about them taking drivers liscenses away, but can they do that to me in Indiana? How would probation work over state lines? Am I completely screwed?
I was wrong to do what I did, but I don't think that this should ruin my life. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. By the way, I have no criminal record.

IndyB

I have been in contact with a few attorneys and they seem to think that I have a good chance of receiving probation. So are you saying that if I am under probation in Mass, then I have to stay in Mass for a year so I don't break my parole? This is a misdermenor by the way. It was a very small amount of drugs.

IndyB

I find it hard to believe that I would have to move to Mass in order to fufill my probation if I am lucky enough to get off with only that. Does anyone have any advice as to how to delay my initial hearing so that I can prepare my travel? They only gave 3 and a half weeks notice for me to arrange travel to Boston. I called the court and have so far received the run-around. Do I put a plea in at the hearing? Can I be arrested at the hearing? I know a lawyer would be best for these questions, but I want to know what the people of this forum have to say. I'm afraid that I won't be able to make travel arrangements in time.

Just Blue

Sorry...This isn't legal advice....But I gotta ask...What on earth made you think that trolling the Combat Zone (China Town) at night was a good idea?? It isn't listed as a tourist hot spot in the Boston Guide Book....:rolleyes:

IndyB

You are right, that is not advice. I was actually walking to find a taxi after eating chinese food. I spent most of my time wondering around the city. I made a bad choice. Maybe the should change the name of this site to freecriticism.com. Unless anyone has a piece of information that I might be able to put to use what is the point of posting at all? There are many other forums to argue and make fun of people.

outonbail

You are right, that is not advice. I was actually walking to find a taxi after eating chinese food.
Ah yes, the old, "I was looking for a taxi but found a crack dealer and pimp instead excuse" I hear that happens all the time in Boston! :rolleyes:

Or perhaps, this journey was suggested by the little note in you're fortune cookie? :D

IndyB

Ah yes, the old I'd rather pass judgement than help someone out because I don't have a life other than internet forums excuse... I was asking for answers to some questions that I had. I put myself out there thinking that I might get some help and it is obvious that is not the case. Awesome. Thank you. Thank you very much. I am done with this.

outonbail

Ah yes, the old I'd rather pass judgement than help someone out because I don't have a life other than internet forums excuse... I was asking for answers to some questions that I had. I put myself out there thinking that I might get some help and it is obvious that is not the case. Awesome. Thank you. Thank you very much. I am done with this.
Oh please, spare us the tears. You're questions were answered in the first couple of replies to you're questions.

Following that, you began whining about not being able to make travel arrangements on time. What kind of excuse is that? You're not planning a trip to a foreign country and planning tours, you're just going to court. What arrangements need to be made? Filling you're gas tank? Purchasing an airline ticket? Reserving a hotel room for a night? All these arrangements can be made in less time than it has taken you to post you're crack buying adventures on this site. So not being able to make travel arrangements in time, is not even close to a legitimate excuse and I'm sure the court will see it the same way right before they issue a bench warrant for you're arrest.
Then you'll have another charge for failure to appear to contend with, so rather than helping you're situation you plan on making it worse.

So don't let you're feelings get hurt so easily when you don't get the answers you're hoping for. As far as you're arrest, I think you're fooling yourself if you think anyone is going to believe that you were simply a lost tourist who happened to run into a crack dealer. Then when you did, rather than distance yourself, you thought you'd go ahead and try his product, only you thought it was going to be powder cocaine, not crack? Please, save it for the cell buddies you'll have in a couple months, because it's not going to fly here.
Then you just happen to run into this crack dealer a second time that night, on a different corner, thirty minutes subsequent to purchasing the first rock,,, jeez, what are the odds?

Tell the judge you've got a drug problem and you need help, maybe he'll place you in a recovery program,,,,,

Just Blue

You are right, that is not advice. I was actually walking to find a taxi after eating chinese food. I spent most of my time wondering around the city. I made a bad choice. Maybe the should change the name of this site to freecriticism.com. Unless anyone has a piece of information that I might be able to put to use what is the point of posting at all? There are many other forums to argue and make fun of people.
I wasn't making fun of you...But Now I will...See, I have the advantage of being familiar with Boston and know that what you're saying just doesn't make sence...

For all other members looking at this thread..The section of Boston he is talking about is really, really bad...at night...It is NOT the kind of place one would wonder around looking for a cab. It's the kind of place one would go to looking for a hooker or some dope...The official line is that it isn't as bad as it has been in the past, but you really don't want to be there late at night.

outonbail

I wasn't making fun of you...But Now I will...See, I have the advantage of being familiar with Boston and know that what you're saying just doesn't make sence...

For all other members looking at this thread..The section of Boston he is talking about is really, really bad...at night...It is NOT the kind of place one would wonder around looking for a cab. It's the kind of place one would go to looking for a hooker or some dope...The official line is that it isn't as bad as it has been in the past, but you really don't want to be there late at night.
Yeah, I don't think he was fooling anyone. Lets face it, if someone wanted a cab after eating Chinese food, they would have one called to the restaurant. This would afford them the luxury of not having to walk around, speak with pimps, hand money to dope dealers for crack, check out clubs, return to crack dealer and finally, meet police.
I used to travel all over the country and Canada, on business for a company two weeks out of every month. I stayed at thousands of hotels and had dinner at countless restaurants, yet I never spoke to one pimp, drug dealer or police officer in five years of travel.
But of course the only crack I ever had in my pants is the same one I'm sitting on right now!

IndyB

Is there really any point to this forum? My questions were NOT answered and all I get from you people is judgement. Guess what, from my original post, it is plainly clear that I am guilty. I am not denying that. Really, what is wrong with offering some advice on the "free advice forum." I am not on here to debate.. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me what i might face conviction wise and what to expect. Is this really the place to pass judgement? I have been truthful and you all have been rude.

Just Blue

Is there really any point to this forum? My questions were NOT answered and all I get from you people is judgement. Guess what, from my original post, it is plainly clear that I am guilty. I am not denying that. Really, what is wrong with offering some advice on the "free advice forum." I am not on here to debate.. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me what i might face conviction wise and what to expect. Is this really the place to pass judgement? I have been truthful and you all have been rude.
Please review post 2 and 4, you question that COULD be answered, were answered there.

Any other questions that were NOT addressed, would be because the Forum Crystal Ball is in the shop for repairs...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">