• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug probation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thenatureboy420

What is the name of your state? MI

In april I began reporting probation. My original offense was "throwing an object from a moving vehicle", but at my pretrial I was randomly drug tested and failed (completely random, no priors, nothing to hint that I was smoking).

I was sentenced to
-One year reporting probation
-30hrs comm. service
-drug classes
-court fees

I was told that I should write a letter to the judge asking to get off early in order to go to college out of state. They said it wouldnt be a problem as long as I stayed clean and completed all my stuff (which I did, even earlier than required)

My question is whether or not the judge can mandate me to do things once in college (outside of the state of the offense). Can she make me test there and send the results?

I just recieved a vague letter stating that I would continue "write-in probation" and would "continue drug testing twice monthly". The thing is the judge didnt know when I leave for college, and these two statements were on seperate parts of the letter. So could it mean that I must continue testing until I leave for college? Or do I have to continue testing randomly twice monthly in michigan, meaning I have to drive 6 hours every time? Or can she make me find a place in chicago to test and send it back?

CdwJava

Well, you can either agree to the conditions or they can tell you to remain at home.

Your call.

And with a call sign such as "thenatureboy420" are you really going to stay clear of the whacky weed? :rolleyes:

- Carl

thenatureboy420

Yea, I know. If I do have to test until the end, then Ill stay clean. The risk is just not worth it. Im just trying to see if they are allowed to do it, like is it in their jurisdiction to test me outside of the state. Im trying to see if its a possibility that they just want me to test until I leave.

And I dont want to get into a full blown legalization debate, but Id say the only "whacky" things about weed is the laws regarding it in this country.

CdwJava

thenatureboy420 said:
Yea, I know. If I do have to test until the end, then Ill stay clean. The risk is just not worth it. Im just trying to see if they are allowed to do it, like is it in their jurisdiction to test me outside of the state. Im trying to see if its a possibility that they just want me to test until I leave.
They can set whatever conditions they want. You follow them, or they violate your probation and issue a warrant for your arrest.

So, you jump through whatever hoops you have to or they yank your chain - out of state or not. if they permit you to cvarry out your probation out of state, they are either making arrangements with an out of state agency to monitor you (and they could always change their mind if you foul up, and that would send you home), or they put you on some form of informal program where you don't have to check in but you have to keep them appraised by doing or sending them whatever they ask for.

See hoop ... jump through hoop. That's the name of the game for the time being.

And I dont want to get into a full blown legalization debate, but Id say the only "whacky" things about weed is the laws regarding it in this country.
If you say so. But you might want to do some reading on the suibject from sites NOT affiliated with NORML or other pro-legalization groups.

- Carl

thenatureboy420

CdwJava said:
If you say so. But you might want to do some reading on the suibject from sites NOT affiliated with NORML or other pro-legalization groups.

- Carl
I often frequent sites like freevibe.com and all of that information is really not important to me. I know marijuana isnt good for you, but as an adult, why can I drink alcohol, but not smoke marijuana? Alcohol often leads to heavy abuse, alcoholism, liver cancer, violence, rape, and alcohol poisoning. You cant overdose on marijuana. If I can make the choice to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, why cant I make the choice to smoke weed?

Anyways, thanks for the help. Another question. Is it normal for the courts to connect me with a drug testing agency, or will it be up to me to find a testing facility and arrange for the results to be sent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">