• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Use Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GNelson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland. My question is, what can a family member do to help a 23 year old grandson who is taking heroin and Oxycontin. He is ADHD and has been using for over a year. He was in detox and then in a halfway house and he left without finishing. He is now back home, and his personality has changed drastically. He punched a hole in his bedroom wall and broke his hand; he took his mother's car without her permission and was found on the side of a road sleeping with the car running and in Drive with his foot on the brake. A police officer came by and found him and did a breath test and he registered a O because he wasn't drinking, just wasted on drugs. Our family is concerned that he will endanger his life if he continues to do drugs or worse yet, kill someone on the road. We tried to get the police officer to do a blood test to prove that he had been doing drugs and he said he couldn't do that. My daughter has power of attorney for him which she got when he went into drug rehab. Can she use that to get a court order to make him go to a court ordered drug rehab place to get rehabilitated. We are so worried about him and what may happen to him. You help would be greatly appreciated.

N2l83

Thats a baaaaad drug. Sad thing is a lot of people who use those drugs will do ANYTHING to get it even if it means hurting someone close to them. The best bet is to def. try and convince them they need help. Try and get them to stay away from the people who use. Keep them busy any way passable. Try and get him to start a gym membership or something that is active. Thing is those are endorphin related drugs. And once all there endorphins become dependent on those drugs its really hard for them to have emotions, or be active. Working out has really good effects on replacing those endorphins with non drug related ones. He just needs to re entertain himself. Im no doctor but I have dealt with oxycodone with my ex girlfriend. Its really sad but she has pulled trough , and there is hope. Just try realy hard for the cold turkey approach. A lot of addicts will get medicine from doctors that they become addicted to also.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">