• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drugs disappeared at work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass_Shyster

So the defense is that the member of management at the drug treatment facility is abusing prescription drugs, and that it's just a coincidence that the drugs being abused are the drugs that went missing?

My guess is this person will be terminated. Either for stealing drugs or for abusing drugs. This person could always rat out the drug dealing family member if it comes to that.

quincy

So the defense is that the member of management at the drug treatment facility is abusing prescription drugs, and that it's just a coincidence that the drugs being abused are the drugs that went missing?

My guess is this person will be terminated. Either for stealing drugs or for abusing drugs. This person could always rat out the drug dealing family member if it comes to that.
The drug dealing family member might have been beamed up to the Enterprise with the drugs, so I am not sure that would help the person out any.

My guess is the same as yours. Whatever the accused person does, the loss of his job seems likely.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's just a question of which law was broken. Either "the family member with the valid prescription" violated the law by giving the employee a dose, or the employee violated the law by taking the drugs. Take your pick.

Either way, I'd guess the job is gone.

Asimov

wow, just wow

Wow, you folks are worthless (well, mostly worthless anyway), thanks for the trolling though, it had been a while since I mucked in the pit with the dregs.

OHRoadwarrior

Wow, you folks are worthless (well, mostly worthless anyway), thanks for the trolling though, it had been a while since I mucked in the pit with the dregs.
We don't deal with hypotheticals. You asked one factually based legal question and it was answered. If you engage in fictitious behaviors, why can't we?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In case you're wondering, my answer was legally to the point.

It is a violation of the law to give a prescription medication to someone whose name is not on that prescription. So the relative who gave the employee a dose of the medication, even if the relative had a valid prescription for him or herself, violated the law since the employee's name was not on the prescription.

The employer can, LEGALLY, fire the employee for testing positive for a narcotic while on duty in most if not all states. The employer can, LEGALLY, fire the employee for suspicion of theft EVEN IF the employee has an alternate way the drug could have gotten into his system. And EVEN IF the employer is wrong and the employee can prove it in 49 out of 50 states (and sometimes in the 50th).

So I'd suggest that the employee either come up with a prescription with his own name on it that was in effect at the time the drugs went missing AND a valid reason why he was under the influence of it while at work, or plan on losing his job.

That is a legally correct, non-hypothetical answer to your question based on the facts we have available. You don't like it, go pay an attorney or come up with different facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">