• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drunk in Public

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AirManLuke

California

What entitles a police officer to arrest a citizen (21 or not) of disorderly conduct, also known as drunk in public. If i were walking down the street, back home from the bars, drunk, alone, could a police officer arrest me?? I can see if i was falling all over the place and causing trouble, but what if i was just walking a little funny, alone, minding my own business?

xylene

California

What entitles a police officer to arrest a citizen (21 or not) of disorderly conduct, also known as drunk in public. If i were walking down the street, back home from the bars, drunk, alone, could a police officer arrest me?? I can see if i was falling all over the place and causing trouble, but what if i was just walking a little funny, alone, minding my own business?
You were visibly intoxicated

And out in public

That is the criteria of the law.

The standard you expect - that of being a public nuisance and / or a danger to yourself or the public is a much higher level of intoxication than is required for a drunk & disorderly.

CdwJava

California

The officer need articulate the objective symptoms of alcohol or drug intoxication coupled with your apparent inability to care for yourself or the safety of others. If by walking "a little funny" you men staggering or stumbling, yes, you can be arrested for that.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">