• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dual prescriptions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dolo

if your getting a vyvance script from one doctor and adderall from the other whats the legal actions when they notice that and the pharmasist call s the doctors?

Proserpina

I'm in MIssouri.
If both prescriptions were obtained legally and you try to fill 'em at the same pharmacy, all that will usually happen is the pharmacist will alert one or both physicians if they think the combination is going to be harmful.

Some patients do take both meds at the same time.

Dolo

The doctors don't know about each other's prescriptions do I need to fear any legal backlash? From them or the issurance company?

Proserpina

The doctors don't know about each other's prescriptions do I need to fear any legal backlash? From them or the issurance company?
May I ask why you haven't told the doctors?

You NEED to protect yourself - this isn't about legalities or insurance, but about making sure you're not actually causing yourself harm.

Dolo

im not taking them all myself ive heard the insurance companys get upset and i didnt tell the doctor because i need more than is prescribed

Proserpina

im not taking them all myself ive heard the insurance companys get upset and i didnt tell the doctor because i need more than is prescribed
Apparently that's not what your doctor thinks.

Sure, insurance companies can get upset. But that's nothing compared to how upset your body might get.

You need to speak with your physicians. Seriously.

Proserpina

And what exactly does that mean?

If you're not taking them - who IS taking them?

justalayman

what do you mean you aren't taking them all yourself? It is illegal to give or sell a prescription to any person it is not prescribed to.

and no, you do not need more than what is prescribed,

bottom line; yes, what you are doing is illegal. It's commonly referred to as "doctor shopping" and you are obtaining prescription drugs under false pretenses.

Fraudulently attempting to obtain a controlled substance, penalty.
195.204. 1. A person commits the offense of fraudulently attempting to obtain a controlled substance if he obtains or attempts to obtain a controlled substance or procures or attempts to procure the administration of the controlled substance by fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, or subterfuge; or by the forgery or alteration of a prescription or of any written order; or by the concealment of a material fact; or by the use of a false name or the giving of a false address. The crime of fraudulently attempting to obtain a controlled substance shall include, but shall not be limited to nor be limited by, the following:

(1) Knowingly making a false statement in any prescription, order, report, or record, required by sections 195.005 to 195.425;

(2) For the purpose of obtaining a controlled substance, falsely assuming the title of, or representing oneself to be, a manufacturer, wholesaler, pharmacist, physician, dentist, podiatrist, veterinarian, or other authorized person;

(3) Making or uttering any false or forged prescription or false or forged written order;

(4) Affixing any false or forged label to a package or receptacle containing controlled substances;

(5) Possess a false or forged prescription with intent to obtain a controlled substance.

2. Fraudulently attempting to obtain a controlled substance is a class D felony.

3. Information communicated to a physician in an effort unlawfully to procure a controlled substance or unlawfully to procure the administration of any such drug shall not be deemed a privileged communication; provided, however, that no physician or surgeon shall be competent to testify concerning any information which he may have acquired from any patient while attending him in a professional character and which information was necessary to enable him to prescribe for such patient as a physician, or to perform any act for him as a surgeon.

4. The provisions of this section shall apply to all transactions relating to narcotic drugs under the provisions of section 195.080, in the same way as they apply to transactions under all other sections.

(L. 1989 S.B. 215 & 58, A.L. 1997 H.B. 635)

Last edited:

Proserpina

what do you mean you aren't taking them all yourself? It is illegal to give or sell a prescription to any person it is not prescribed to.

and no, you do not need more than what is prescribed,

bottom line; yes, what you are doing is illegal.
And stupid.

Incredibly stupid.

Antigone*

Your right. I will try not to be so stupid.
On top of it being incredibly stupid, it can be incredibly dangerous to give medication to someone else.

You could get yourself in some serious legal trouble. It is called drug dealing

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">