• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Duplicate drug charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I was arrested for possession back in 1993. Everything that was required of me was taken care of. I just found out I have on my record a duplicate charge in 2000. When I say duplicate I mean same charge, case # everything. Does anyone know who I contact or do I have to file any kind of paperwork to get this removed. Its definetely some type of clerical error.

Thank you.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I was arrested for possession back in 1993. Everything that was required of me was taken care of. I just found out I have on my record a duplicate charge in 2000. When I say duplicate I mean same charge, case # everything. Does anyone know who I contact or do I have to file any kind of paperwork to get this removed. Its definetely some type of clerical error.

Thank you.
If it has the same case number, it doesn't sound like a duplicate charge. One can be charged with the same offense under different statutes (I believe).

How about some details?

If it has the same case number, it doesn't sound like a duplicate charge. One can be charged with the same offense under different statutes (I believe).

How about some details?
I was charged with possession back in 93, I paid some court costs and had to go to some classes. Last week my record was brought up and showed the exact same information for a case in 2000. Up until last week I have had no run-ins with the law.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
See also:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/roadside-search-gone-bad-581485.html

CdwJava

I was charged with possession back in 93, I paid some court costs and had to go to some classes. Last week my record was brought up and showed the exact same information for a case in 2000. Up until last week I have had no run-ins with the law.
It sounds like you may not have completed all that was required of you. Perhaps you still had fines to pay, had not submitted proof of counseling or treatment, or failed to report to a Probation Officer. If the same case number, then the old case was resurrected for some reason.

Contact the court and see if they can tell you anything. If possible go TO the court and ask to look at the court record - perhaps they can shine some light on what happened.

It sounds like you may not have completed all that was required of you. Perhaps you still had fines to pay, had not submitted proof of counseling or treatment, or failed to report to a Probation Officer. If the same case number, then the old case was resurrected for some reason.

Contact the court and see if they can tell you anything. If possible go TO the court and ask to look at the court record - perhaps they can shine some light on what happened.
Thank you very much for giving me a direction to go. I guess the court clerk is who I would contact?

CdwJava

Thank you very much for giving me a direction to go. I guess the court clerk is who I would contact?
To see a copy of the court record, yes. Also, if you had an attorney of record at the time, perhaps he or she can aid you.

This might also be the result of a probation violation so a check with probation might also be recommended.

Have you moved since then? Is your driver's license or ID up to date with your current address? Have you moved away from the original jurisdiction?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">