• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early Expungement??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HopeForTheBest

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

So I was convicted of a felony (drug/fake id possession) a couple years back and given one year of probation. I have completed probation, paid all my fines, gone to school part time while working and have been a stand up citizen since. However, I see that I would have to wait 10 years (in New Jersey) before my felony can be expunged?? This is difficult for me because I find that my stupid mistake will cast a bad shadow on me if potential employers run a background check.

I spoke to a lawyer who said it MIGHT be possible to get it expunged under some "young age rule" (I was 19 at the time), but he wouldn't go into detail without me forking over some money for him to review the case. Hopefully someone on here can give me a little more insight..

Thank You.

Silverplum

However, I see that I would have to wait 10 years (in New Jersey) before my felony can be expunged?? This is difficult for me because I find that my stupid mistake will cast a bad shadow on me if potential employers run a background check.
Please tell this to every young person you ever meet.

seniorjudge

Expungement basically clears you of civil penalties that you incurred as a result of your doping; it does not make the conviction secret or hard to find.

HopeForTheBest

Expungement basically clears you of civil penalties that you incurred as a result of your doping; it does not make the conviction secret or hard to find.
I don't think it shows up on background checks once expunged though. Maybe if I was running for Mayor it might come up...

Either way, is it possible for me to get it expunged?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">