• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee drug testing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Does anyone know if an employer who did not require drug testing upon hiring a person, can at some point require a drug test from that employee and then terminate them if they fail to provide the test?

So basically, if my employer tells me to go get a drug test, and I say no, is that a legitimate reason for them to fire me?

racer72

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Does anyone know if an employer who did not require drug testing upon hiring a person, can at some point require a drug test from that employee and then terminate them if they fail to provide the test?

So basically, if my employer tells me to go get a drug test, and I say no, is that a legitimate reason for them to fire me?
Yes they can and yes it is.

outonbail

If your employer suspects you are using drugs, they can fire you without even waiting for the results of a drug test. It sounds like they're giving you the benefit of the doubt by asking you to submit to a drug test.

Why would you even ask this question? Do you believe that if someone is hired without passing a drug screen, that they are free to use drugs without having to worry about the repercussions of doing so, from that point on?

gawm

This should have been posted in Hiring, firing, & wrongful termination section. Here is a better answer your question. If your drug use is arousing suspicion at work, it is out of control. Get some help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">