• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exponging felony charge for my cooperation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oregon88

Oregon.

I am 20 years old and live in a college town. Last week my house was raided because my roommate was dealing marijuana. I was charged for “frequenting” (a misdemeanor) and also possession of a schedule II drug (3 adderoll pills that were on my desk) which is a class B felony. My court date is on January 8th. They told me that if I cooperated with them and helped them catch another drug dealer that the felony would be dropped. They seemed very understanding that a felony would completely screw my entire goal of getting a good career after graduating and assured me that they could help as long as I helped them.

So now I have to set up someone for them to bust. My questions are:

1.) How do I make sure they are not lying? I dont want to just be a rag doll for them.
2.) What should I do to make sure that it gets dropped?
3.) Any other advice on this situation? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

First you need to accept responsibility for your own actions. The charges against you may be dropped but the police are not the ones who make that call the district attorney is. It would appear your only option is to help rid your college town of another scumbag drug dealer and hope for the best. Your best bet to protect yourself is to get a lawyer and get any deals in writing from the district attorney.

outonbail

Oregon.

I am 20 years old and live in a college town. Last week my house was raided because my roommate was dealing marijuana. I was charged for “frequenting” (a misdemeanor) and also possession of a schedule II drug (3 adderoll pills that were on my desk) which is a class B felony. My court date is on January 8th. They told me that if I cooperated with them and helped them catch another drug dealer that the felony would be dropped.
If they are not going to file felony charges against you in exchange for rolling over on someone else, then you are more than likely going to have to do more than just provide them with names. They may want you to make a controlled buy or introduce an undercover officer to your source. You need to think about how willing you are to do this and if you can pull it off without blowing it and acting so nervous that the dealer suspects something is up.
They seemed very understanding that a felony would completely screw my entire goal of getting a good career after graduating and assured me that they could help as long as I helped them.
They will tell you whatever they think will make you cooperate with their investigation. See if they will put in writing, what involvement they expect from you, how many times you have to work with them and a guarantee that you will not face any charges by agreeing to do what they are asking.

I doubt they will be as understanding with providing you with a written statement as they have you believing. However, if they do provide you with a written agreement, do not agree to it, or sign it until you have an attorney review it!

If they are being truthful with you in regards to dropping your charges, they shouldn't have any problem writing up an agreement, so there is no misunderstandings. If you work with them on their word alone, you may end up sharing a cell with the person you roll over on.

You should also consider what can happen if the person you roll over on discovers it was you that snitched him/her off. Are you ready to deal with that situation?

The informant vessel is a dangerous, dirty thing to be sailing on, so I suggest you give it some serious thought before jumping on that leaky ship with any hope of staying afloat.

oregon88

So I talked with the officers today...

They said how this works is "I do three things for them and my life becomes much easier".

They said at worst case scenario I try to help and fail and I am stuck with the full charges that I have. Best case I help and am successful and they talk to the DA and the DA wipes the charges (unlikely but possible they said). The most likely they said would be somewhere in the middle, where I help them, they tell the DA that I did good for them and then I plea to a lesser crime (not felony), and I am put on some type of probation and keep my nose clean and afterwards it gets wiped from my record.

They said that they (the detectives) would be fine with writing up something saying that they would talk to the DA, but the DA I don’t think would sign in. However they did insist on saying that whatever they tell the DA, the DA will act appropriately.

So what do you see is the most likely thing to happen if I cooperate? What could my charges be reduced to? Anyone had experience with something like this?

Thank you for any help.

It looks like either way you are up a creek without a paddle. If you haven't contacted your parents yet, do so. Get legal representation and stop looking for advice to do it yourself from an internet forum. The reality remains that you are probably going to receive disciplinary action from the school. You are going to receive some sort of charge from the District Attorney.

I really doubt that the police are going to send you out to find drugs to clear you of your possession of three Adderall. It seems like an unlikely and highly improbable scenario. Seek legal council immediately and tell your parents what has happened, they are going to find out anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">