• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunge marijuana misdemeanor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dracunculus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

In 1972 I was convicted of a misdemeanor, possession of marijuana...my ONLY ever drug conviction.

I have never been convicted of a felony.

Now in 1994 and 1995 I legally purchased about 12 firearms and kept the receipts for all of them. Most of these guns were purchased after the Brady Bill was in effect. I needed to wait 3 days to take possession of the handguns, so I believe my record was definitely checked out.

Now comes 2007. I needed some cash, so I pawned 2 guns. A few weeks later when I went back to the pawn shop to retrieve them. The pawn shop did its routine check before letting me reclaim the guns, and they ultimately told me I was denied getting them back. (They check with some government agency)

The pawn shop said that when they do the check, if someone is denied, they are not given a reason. They told me I needed to check with the FBI to get details. I did just that.

They sent me a printout of my record, and it did indeed show my 1972 misdemeanor marijuana possession charge. I called the FBI and they explained to me that if a person is convicted of ANY drug charge, be it a felony OR misdemeanor, then they cannot purchase or possess a firearm.

Now here are 2 questions:

1. Why was I legally allowed to purchase firearms in 1994-1995, and then in 2007 I was denied? Did some laws change or did more extensive background checking come into play?

2. Can my marijuana possession misdemeanor be expunged, so I can again purchase firearms?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

dracunculusWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">