• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

person673

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

In 2006 I received two citations from Park Rangers in the Chattahoochee National Forest. One citation for misdemeanor violation of the GA controlled substance act, Marijuana, and one citation for providing alcohol to underage persons (all three were over 18, but under 21). I was 21 at the time. I plead first offenders in US Federal Court, GA Northern District at the courthouse in Gainesville, GA. I got one year of federal probation. I completed the probation and went back to court (where my friends charges were expunged), and the judge kind of dropped the charges (to my understanding), but it is obviously still on my record. I had an attorney appointed by the court since I was a broke college student at the time. I am now 25 living and working w/o any charges since, minus one speeding ticket. Because of these charges, I was almost not hired in my current job, and I have had to jump through many hoops to get the state licenses that are needed for my job. I was hoping someone could tell me what my chances are of getting this expunged. I am thinking I will probably have to wait a few more years, if it can be done at all. My friends all had their records expunged, because they were 20 years old at at the time of the incident. My appointed attorney told me there was nothing that could be done at the time.

I just want to not be hindered by this anymore.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

hermes77

Go have an initial consult with a real criminal atty. It may cost a few dollars, but you should get more than "there is nothing that can be done at this time." Key questions for the atty are what can be done? BRING EVERY BIT OF PAPERWORK WITH YOU. If you need to get stuff from the courts do it before you schedule the appointment. When you schedule the appointment shedule it for some time AFTER you can drop the paperwork off for the atty. to review before the meeting. Include a letter stateing what you would like to do. The letter should be in terms of results. For instance is there a material differance between expunged and seald for you?

Key things you should walk out of the consult with are:
When can it be done?
How much will it cost?
When can it be done?
What are the likely chances of success?

You should WRITE everything s/he says down and form a real plan. DO NOT depend on your memory. Have the atty look at your notes and be sure that you understand everything. Say thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">