• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement/Sealing of WA Record (Criminal to Civil plea)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WAslap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Washington

A little over 7 years ago (as a 19 year old), I was charged with a misdemeanor (Use of drug paraphernalia: RCW 69.50.412) and had it amended to a "Class 1 Civil Infraction" (Selling/Giving paraphernalia: RCW 69.50.4121) in a plea deal. During the original pullover/arrest, I was placed in handcuffs for ~1 second "as a formality" and was given the ticket and sent away - no fingerprints. Court ended in my plea, and I paid a fee of ~$150 or something. I was told I wouldn't have a criminal record since I plead to an infraction, but there would be a record of my arrest. (Per my lawyer at the time)

About five years later, I moved across the country, and applied for a job marking "no criminal conviction" on the application. I was rejected for employment and given a copy of their background company's report on me. It indicated 2 CRIMINAL convictions from WA, one for the original possession, and a second for the selling/giving. From what I understood, I was charged with a CRIME, and had it amended to a CIVIL INFRACTION. I did not fight the report since I had two offers at the time, and went with the other place anyway.

Now, seven years later, I am nearing graduation with an engineering bachelors and intend on finding a "real job". I have, this year, done the following in my research:

1) Called WA District Court. They told me they don't handle expungements, and I have to call "originating agency of charge" They referred me to WA State Patrol
2) Called WA State Patrol. They told me they cannot find my criminal record. They referred me to a background checking company in WA.
3) Called the WA background company. They told me they cannot find my record - but they said they search fingerprint records only for criminal conviction.
4) Called the company which reported the "2 CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS" several years ago to find out where/how they got the info. They told me the information was from WA District Court. They also send me a dispute form if I wanted to challenge it.

So I am not sure how to proceed, other than contacting an attorney. I appear to qualify for "expungement of criminal record" according to the guidelines on WA state's information , but I am not sure if my conviction is criminal, since it was plead down. Either way, I want to ensure that my near decade-old mistake is erased, and I can confidently mark "No Criminal Convictions", and I need a little help on where to begin.

I currently live on the East Coast, and would prefer not to resort to a WA Lawyer. However, if that is my only option, does anyone have recommendations? Is there simply a form to mail in?

Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">