• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunging Possession of Alcohol Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formulajoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I received a possession of alcohol under legal age ticket two years ago in Winneshiek County, and was looking for information on what I can do to get it expunged. I called the county clerk of court, which said that I need to consult a lawyer, although sometimes people send in a written request to get something expunged. They said they didn't have a form or anything for me to fill out. Are there any steps I can take on my own?

This is the only misdemeanor charge I have (although I have a couple speeding and stop sign tickets) on my record. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I received a possession of alcohol under legal age ticket two years ago in Winneshiek County, and was looking for information on what I can do to get it expunged. I called the county clerk of court, which said that I need to consult a lawyer, although sometimes people send in a written request to get something expunged. They said they didn't have a form or anything for me to fill out. Are there any steps I can take on my own?

This is the only misdemeanor charge I have (although I have a couple speeding and stop sign tickets) on my record. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You would probably find it far easier to have an attorney help you with the expungement than to try and petition the court on your own. For legal assistance in your area, you can check out the following Iowa Legal Aid site: http://www.iowalegalaid.org/find-legal-help.

You have waited two years, which is necessary before you can seek an expungement. The law is provided through the following link: http://law.justia.com/codes/iowa/2009/title-4/subtitle-1/chapter-123/123-46 or see Iowa Code, Section 123.47(2).

You will need to obtain the necessary legal documentation prior to filing a petition (e.g., your criminal history information maintained by the Iowa State Police and from any other state if you have a record elsewhere, your driving record, your court files, official record from Probation if one exists ... ) to show the Court that you are entitled to an expungement.

Your petition to the Court will include not only this documentation but a form that has the statute number under which you are seeking your expungement, and your identifying information (name, age, date of birth, etc). Once prepared and sworn to under penalty of perjury, you file the petition with the Court and serve a copy of your verified petition for expungement upon the proper parties (e.g., the prosecuting attorney).

You can check out the following links to see if there are standard forms available for you to use in Iowa for an expungement petition: http://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/CR/LINC/09-27-2013.chapter.17.pdf or https://www.legis.iowa.gov/IowaLaw/courtRulesListing.aspx. If Iowa does not require the use of a particular form, you could probably do a search online for "samples" (forms used by others in Iowa) and copy the format.

This is only the most basic of information, formulajoe. Because this expungement is important to you, I recommend you have an attorney in Iowa help you obtain the court order that legally expunges your criminal record, so that you know that nothing is overlooked and everything is done properly.

Good luck.

formulajoe

That definitely gives me a good place to start, thanks for the helpful information. Since it sounds like I completely meet the requirements to expunge it, I'm going to try to find more information about the necessary forms and the process of making a petition.

quincy

That definitely gives me a good place to start, thanks for the helpful information. Since it sounds like I completely meet the requirements to expunge it, I'm going to try to find more information about the necessary forms and the process of making a petition.
You're welcome, formulajoe.

Again, it will be easier for you to have an attorney in Iowa help you draft your petition and gather the required documents.

Good luck.

Richard Kevin

Most popular expunging form in Iowa

• Affidavit in Support of Motion to Order Expungement of Criminal Record
• Expungement Handbook - Procedures and Law
• Motion for New Trial for Purpose of Expunging Criminal Record
• Petition for Expungement of Record in Case of Acquittal and Release
• Petition for Writ of Mandamus or Mandate to Compel Court to Expunge Record

quincy

Most popular expunging form in Iowa

• Affidavit in Support of Motion to Order Expungement of Criminal Record
• Expungement Handbook - Procedures and Law
• Motion for New Trial for Purpose of Expunging Criminal Record
• Petition for Expungement of Record in Case of Acquittal and Release
• Petition for Writ of Mandamus or Mandate to Compel Court to Expunge Record
What you provided is not really the most popular expunging "form." It is a list which includes a handbook. ;)

Do you have a source for these, Richard, or are they available through the links already provided?

Last edited:

formulajoe

Just wanted to follow up on this forum and say that I was able to get this charge expunged successfully without having to go through a lawyer. Each county in Iowa appears to do it slightly differently. For example, Black Hawk county seems to let you simply go to the office and fill out a quick form, but for Winneshiek (where I got mine), you need to come up with your own form and submit it.

The legal requirements for a possession of alcohol under legal age charge (paula) are basically that two years need to have passed since the charge without receiving another misdemeanor. I read through the Iowa guidelines for submitting a petition and some sample petitions found online, and wrote my own that worked in Winneshiek. This is what I used, and maybe this or a variation will work for other people who were in my situation. You may have to make some adjustments depending on the county, and some of the information may not even be necessary, or exactly what they're looking for, but it worked for me.

Petition for Expungement

Winneshiek County Court
201 W Main St
Decorah, IA 52101

[Petitioner’s Name] vs. Winneshiek County

Petitioner’s Contact Information:
[Petitioner’s Address]
[Petitioner’s Phone number]
[Petitioner’s e-mail address]

1. This petition is to expunge police and court records, according to the criteria described in [123.47(7) is for expunging PAULA], relating to the following charge:
Case Number: ___
Date: ___
Violation #: [Insert violation number. 123.47(3)(a)(1) is for PAULA]
Citation Number: ___
2. Petitioner’s name and birth date at the time of citation is the same as the current name. Birth date: ___
Social Security Number: [Insert last four digits]
3. I have fulfilled all necessary terms of the violation, which consisted of a fine only. [If true]
4. This is the first offense I have received of this violation, or any other violation punishable by a misdemeanor or felony. I have not received any violations other than local traffic violations since [date of violation], including, but not limited to, misdemeanor and felony violations. [If true]
5. There is no proceeding involving any crime which is presently pending against me. [If true]

“I certify under penalty of perjury and pursuant to the laws of the state of Iowa that the preceding is true and correct.

______________________ ______________________
Date Signature”

________________________________________________________________________________

Hope this helps!

quincy

Nice information, formulajoe!

I am sure that what you provided can be of help to others in Iowa.

And thanks for checking back to let us know you were able to successfully expunge your misdemeanor. I bet that is a relief for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">