• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False positive nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cameron K

Maybe someone can offer some advice here or has had a similar experience.

My daughter has had previous drug problems with convictions, but has not used anything since July 1st. At the time of her last conviction, she was pregnant and was already voluntarily enrolled in a drug treatment program. The court imposed probation and 180 days in jail (which was suspended) and intense treatment.

She has since completed treatment and has been living with my wife & I. She has stayed close to home, & has been a model person in comparison to what she was when she was drugging.

The baby was born on Dec. 9th, five months after her last drug encounter. Here's the problem:

Dec 4th - She went to her scheduled Pediatrition visit. She had a cold & sinus problem, so her practioner told her to take sudafed.
She took the sudafed from that day until the day she went into labor (5 days).

After the birth, because of her previous drug record, mandatory testing was done on her & the baby. She tested negative & the baby's test showed a "presumed positive for amphetamines".

The baby was born with no defects, no sleeping problems, no eating problems. He's a perfectly normal baby, with everything functioning as it should.

She has a statement from her caretaker showing the permission to take sudafed and it has been established that sudafed shows a false positive for amphetamines in the urine.

Even so, the DHS has put her baby in foster care and the county D.A. has charged her with possession of methamphetamine.

WHAT METHAMPHETAMINE!!!???

kat1963

I'm going to be of little help here Ed, but the first thing I would do if I were you is get a lawyer and file a motion to intervene for custody of your grandchild (assuming you want to care for the child). I'd also have the lawyer obtain blood samples from the hospital and take them to an private, independant lab.

Hopefully others can help you better here.

KAT

H

Humble Warrior

Simple case if all is accurate and true. She goes to "family court" and poses her case. She needs statements or prescription copies from her doctor,and the case is done and over-with. She wins.
Then sue the state for a mint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">