• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

felnoy or misdemeanor charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mahermich

florida

Twenty years ago i was charged with possession of cocaine. I was sentenced to 1yr
probation. I voliated my probation and was then sentenced to one year in the county
jail (I spent 4 mo in jail) after time served probation followed for 6 mo. Was this possession charge a felony or misdemeanor? I was young and had less than a quarter
gram!!!! this is the only charge i have and it was 20 yrs ago. Since my time in jail i'd
never touch cocaine and/or any drug for that matter. Do i really have to live with this simple mistake of 20 yrs ago? I want to become a certified process server and cant have a felony chg on my record can it be expunged or sealed? how can i tell if it was a felony or misdemeanor charge?

garrula lingua

I don't know of any state wherein possession of cocaine (once criminalized) is/was a misdemeanor.
In my experience, it has always been a felony.

mahermich

thank you but could it be expundged or sealed? if not the florida statutes say one of the requirements to become a certified process server you must provide a criminial
backround report that reflects;

mahermich

i got a report and it says im charged with construtive possession of cocaine!!!
it also says adjudification withheld flag. what is flag supposed to mean?

garrula lingua

Well, adjudication withheld means the court was doing a diversion program - you failed that.

It does appear that you have a felony conviction, and I don't believe it can be expunged in Florida (adjudication withheld could be expunged, as there would be no conviction, but there was a conviction in your case).

Check with a local (where the offense occurred) criminal attorney to see if you can, at least, get your record sealed.

Or, ask the process server class-giver (or the Fla State Dept in charge of licensing process servers) if sealing the record would make any difference.

Last edited:

mahermich

Hello again, everything you've told me has been correct. thanks and please tell me how you take this florida satatue regarding process servers it states:

applicant can't have any kind of felony, NOR a misdemeanor within the last 5
years upon summiting the application for certifation of process server.

so thats what it states using the word nor. How do you understand it?
I think it says no felony or misdemeanor with 5 years of applying. Is this how you see it?
and therefore i wouldn't have to worry about it. plse write back thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">