• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Criminal Attempt to Purchase Marijuana?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inneedofhelp1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia. So about a year and a half ago, I was on my way home from work. I stopped at a gas station and as i was walking out a kid came up behind me and asked if i wanted to buy some marijuana. I told him no repeatedly as i walked to my car and got in. He followed me, and put his hands on my like window seal thing and kept nagging me. My brother was in my car as well. I ended up getting out and walking over to his car because I am by no means a big guy and this was pretty scary for me (i know it wasnt a good idea). Anyways right when i sat down, a cop was knocking on the window telling everyone to get out. 2 kids in the front and just me in the back. They found a .5 gram of marijuana in the car, and no cash at all. The two other kids fought the cop (really stupid). I was totally cooperative, and did everything they asked, told the absolute truth about everything that happened. Still im in the back of the cop car, charged with FELONY CRIMINAL ATTEMPT TO PURCHASE MARIJUANA. I just dont understand it. I have a lawyer, still have not been indicted. Can't find a job, because my background check shows a pending felony. My lawyer says she has never seen the charge before. What is wrong? I dont understand how this can take so long, let alone be a felony case? Thank you very much for any help! I really need it.

lawbird

I really don't get the part about you getting out of your car and getting into his if A.) you were scared to begin with B.)you had no intention to purchase marijuana in the first place. Secondly, you should be talking to your attorney as they will have ALL of the facts.

As a side note. No one on this site will dilligently answer your question if you are not presenting all of the facts truthfully. Someone once responded to a thread I started by stating "we tend to be smarter than the average bear on this site and it seems you are leaving out some important facts".

If you clarify your situation a little bit better you will get some great advice on this site but as your thread stands right now it appears you are leaving something out.

inneedofhelp1

ok here's the part i left out. didn't want to sound racist. im sorry. the gas station on my way home is next to a black club. im a little white kid. there are black people everywhere during this situation. EVERYWHERE. i was just going along with it to get out of the situation. he just wanted me to "look at his stuff" which i thought was harmless, and would get me out of the situation. i understand how it could sound not true, but it is totally true. i realize i should've just started the car and driven off, but this is right by my house and i didnt want to see this guy again and get beat up or something.

TigerD

ok here's the part i left out. didn't want to sound racist. im sorry. the gas station on my way home is next to a black club. im a little white kid. there are black people everywhere during this situation. EVERYWHERE. i was just going along with it to get out of the situation. he just wanted me to "look at his stuff" which i thought was harmless, and would get me out of the situation. i understand how it could sound not true, but it is totally true. i realize i should've just started the car and driven off, but this is right by my house and i didnt want to see this guy again and get beat up or something.
Come up with a better lie, or you are going to do some time.

DC

Ladyback1

oh puhlease! I know 4 y/o who can concoct better lies than that

LdiJ

The police only found .5 grams in the car and no money. The charges don't make any sense. There are more than 28 grams in an ounce, and they found .5 grams...1/2 of a gram. Even if the OP got that wrong and it was 5 grams, it still takes more than 28 grams or 1 ounce, for it to be a felony charge in GA.

I don't think that the guys had any intention to sell him any pot, I think that they intended to rob him.

lawbird

I don't think that the guys had any intention to sell him any pot, I think that they intended to rob him.
I'm also thinking along the lines that if the cops showed up as quickly as you said they did they were performing a buy bust operation. You should thank the police, you're lucky you didn't get robbed or even murdered.

I offered this advice once before. Now is your time to get out of the game. If there truly was only a half a gram involved you spared yourself a felony and all the great things that come along with having a felony on your record, think about it, you can still do anything with your life you want to, get a felony though and its over.

Change your group of friends now while you're young, get a job and get some experience doing something so in 3 years from now you're not back on this site starting your thread off something like this.

Need help! Can my PO violate me?

single317dad

My advice is to cease visiting locations you are uncomfortable visiting.

Also, to stop telling that story, immediately. Just be very, very quiet, and let your lawyer talk.

justalayman

If you are so scared of the neighborhood, why did you stop at that gas station? Is it the only one in Georgia?

So, how far were you willing to go to get out of the situation? Would you have actually purchased some MJ, you know, just to get out of the situation?

inneedofhelp1

well yall are helpful...not. i got my dismissal papers yesterday...fully dismissed. anyways, yall have obviously never been a broke college student. when you are on empty, you stop anywhere. and yes i meant .5. My lawyer said i WAS probably going to get robbed, and secondly, that they charged me with that to get me to plead guilty to simple possession. The actual charge was attempt to purchase, but for some reason they filed it under poss/manuf/del/dist/purchase/sell or pos. on the dismissal paper it says "upon investigation, the criminal warrant(s) in the above-styled case(s) is/are hereby dismissed because of lack of prosecution/evidence. The co-defendents (people that were trying to sell/possibly rob me pled guilty to something and were sentenced (lawyer said disribution and they had priors...scary). Thanks for the people that helped, and no thanks to those saying i was lying...

Just Blue

well yall are helpful...not. i got my dismissal papers yesterday...fully dismissed. anyways, yall have obviously never been a broke college student. when you are on empty, you stop anywhere. and yes i meant .5. My lawyer said i WAS probably going to get robbed, and secondly, that they charged me with that to get me to plead guilty to simple possession. The actual charge was attempt to purchase, but for some reason they filed it under poss/manuf/del/dist/purchase/sell or pos. on the dismissal paper it says "upon investigation, the criminal warrant(s) in the above-styled case(s) is/are hereby dismissed because of lack of prosecution/evidence. The co-defendents (people that were trying to sell/possibly rob me pled guilty to something and were sentenced (lawyer said disribution and they had priors...scary). Thanks for the people that helped, and no thanks to those saying i was lying...
Thank You for letting us know the "outcome" of your "case'.

Also good of you to let us remember that the OG Effect is in full ramp!! ;)

quincy

The way I see it, inneedofhelp, the forum advisors were of GREAT help to you.

You posted here on Monday, having heard nothing about your charges for a year and a half and then, two days after posting your story (and not liking much what you were told) everything has suddenly been nicely resolved in your favor.

We call this the "OG" effect and it is only available to posters on FA.

(you beat me to it, Blue :))

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">