• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Marijuana arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xbht

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Police came to the door saying they got an anonymous tip about drugs being in the house. I thought they had the wrong house and assumed they were looking for a meth lab or something so I let them in and said they can look around. He asked if I had any drugs and I said yes that I had some marijuana and I showed him to keep them from tearing up my house. Well they found some other baggies in another drawer that I forgot about that had weed in them. not much but all together with all of these little baggies of weed it came to a felony amount which is a little over an ounce in MO. I had some grow lights in a closet in the basement that were packed away that they found. They were not in operation and have not been for years. They took the lights, weed and a couple of pipes. I went to jail for fingerprints and picture and was released. I know this anonymous tip came from a family member that has a grudge against me. I am a model citizen who works, goes to college, earned several certifications in the computer field. Never have been convicted of any crime. Are my chances of avoiding jail good? I am hoping to get this down to a misdemeanor at best. I have not been charged yet but I am sure I will be. I have retained an attorney but at this point it is a waiting game for the arrest warrant.

Oh yeah, I stupidly signed a statement saying it was all mine to keep my wife from getting in trouble. That was the "hook" they held in front of me. I am hoping since I cooperated fully with them that this will help me.

Thank You.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I am a model citizen who works, goes to college, earned several certifications in the computer field.
Model citizens do not have houses full of felonious amounts (well it only takes a little more than an ounce in Missouri) of drugs, portioned for distribution, plus the equipment to produce more. I wouldn't be surprised if you will not be charged not only with 35g+ possession and paraphernalia but also sale/manufacturing. That can get you up to 15 years and $20,000 fine.

The grudge or anonymous tip nature isn't going anywhere. The police are expected to act on such things and you consented to the search. Further you signed a statement effectively confessing to everything. You essentially rolled over and made the prosecutions case. Keep your mouth shut and listen to your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">