• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

felony possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayborneo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Got pulled over and had a small bag of pills in the car. A couple xanax, a couple percocet, a couple valium, and a couple vicodin. All in total there were about 10 pills. I was not under the influence, I have a prescription for xanax but it was not with me in the car. It is my first arrest. Right now they are charging me with felony possession. I was told I could get it reduced to a misdemeanor most likely but what should I do? The pills were just in there and I didnt know exactly what they were I just knew they were for mild anxiety which is what I use xanax for, in small amounts, not even every day... What im worried about is the different kind of pills that were there. I dont know what the judge will think or the best way to make this go away. im 25 years old

justalayman

make it go away? Why would yo think possession of several different drugs that all require a prescription would just go away.

You need a lawyer.

CdwJava

When you speak to your attorney, ask about the possibility of diversion through Prop 36, Drug Court or PC 1000. With drug treatment, a few years of probation subjecting you to regular searches and chemical tests, and a few dollars to pay for these programs and court costs, fines, and fees, you can likely move beyond this in about three years.

It is NOT just going to go away.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Got pulled over and had a small bag of pills in the car. A couple xanax, a couple percocet, a couple valium, and a couple vicodin. All in total there were about 10 pills. I was not under the influence, I have a prescription for xanax but it was not with me in the car. It is my first arrest. Right now they are charging me with felony possession. I was told I could get it reduced to a misdemeanor most likely but what should I do? The pills were just in there and I didnt know exactly what they were I just knew they were for mild anxiety which is what I use xanax for, in small amounts, not even every day... What im worried about is the different kind of pills that were there. I dont know what the judge will think or the best way to make this go away. im 25 years old
You had 10 pills, none of them were in their proper prescription bottles, and by your own admission at least 4 of the 5 kinds of pills were for medications you didn't have prescriptions for.

I seriously doubt they will reduce this to a misdemeanor, simply because of the KIND of drugs they were (i.e., the drugs you allegedly possessed were mostly opiates and tranquilizers, and not classified within a small group of depressants, including GHB). Possession within that small group makes the crime a wobbler, subject to either a misdemeanor or felony charge at the discretion of the prosecutor. Since yours WEREN'T, then I don't believe you would be eligible for reduction to a misdemeanor charge here.

Your claim to not know what those other pills were for isn't going to make a difference. You had them, you used them, and you got caught in possession of them. You are in some SERIOUS trouble here, and you need an attorney - NOW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">