• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding cause for 1st offense even though its my second offense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fallendarkness

State: Lousiana (New Orleans)

So, a little background, I was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana a couple years back as a municipal offense in New Orleans (wasn't taken to jail), pleaded no contest, and was sentenced and ordered to pay a $400 fine. Paid it. Life went on.

A bit of bad luck happened a month and a half ago where I got caught again due to bone-headed thinking and it was logged as my second offense. Got a bond, and here I am. I was looking up my docket master online and I saw 2 lines that I found rather odd and am curious as to what exactly they mean.

THE COURT FOUND CUASE FOR 1ST OFFENSE MARIJUANA ONLY

and

03/17/2014 CUTRERM *
RULE TO SHOW CAUSE IN MAGISTRATE COURT SECTION M2
DA REFERRED POSS MARIJUANA 1ST TO MUNICIPAL COURT

The first was written a day after the arrest. The second was written about a week ago under a "Rule to Show Cause" hearing that was scheduled for that day. I'm a little confused as to what exactly they mean. Does this mean that they are pursuing a 1st offense charge or is that just false hope talking? I also got a notice a few days ago for an appearance in municipal court (which I will definitely be showing up for). My understanding is that municipal court handles misdemeanors, not felonies. The court date is for an arraignment hearing. Does municipal court handle all arraignments and only actual cases for misdemeanors? Obviously I'll be speaking to my lawyer in a day or 2 when my schedule clears up, but I was just wondering if anyone here had any words of wisdom? Thanks!

dave33

Basically you are being charged with a 1st offense marijuana poss.The lawyer for the state will be keeping this in municipal court. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">