• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fines and Penalties- Realistic Outcome?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tenatra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

This is not me, but a person I know was charged with 3 counts of selling hydrocodone and 1 count of transportation. Two of these counts for selling were to an individual who was a confidential informant. An undercover police officer was present at the time of two of these transactions. The confidential informant has since passed away, so now the drug task force is arresting every person that they were building a case against. The police never actually found drugs on the person being charged at any point nor in the home. They were looking for this person to serve the warrant, and when this person found out they went to the police station and turned their self in and posted bail.

The arraignment is soon. This person has no prior convictions. What are the realistic penalties that may arise from these charges? If it is possible to come up with the money, would it be better to hire a lawyer of one's own choice or will a court appointed public defendant or attorney do an equal or better job? This person can not afford a lawyer, but I would be willing to come up with the money and pay myself if it would help the outcome of the case any. My main concern is what are the odds of avoiding jail time? I suppose I am just looking for some guidance on what is going to happen, some peace of mind, or what I need to mentally prepare myself for as I am very close to this person.

Any guidance/ opinions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">