• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First court date approaching and no attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was charged with possession of controlled substance and my first court date is within the next two weeks. When I was first charged, I was hopeful that I would be able to hire an attorney, but extenuating circumstances have demanded all of my finances and now I don't know what to do. Will the judge offer me a second chance at having one appointed for me? How do I respectfully explain why I am wasting the courts time by not having an attorney?

Any and all help is much appreciated!
Kristi LoveWhat is the name of your state?

Heather2

When I needed a PD I called the county clerk's office and set up an appointment. Find out who your court coordinator is and ask them how you go about getting a PD.

Thank you, Heather2. I spoke with an attorney today and he informed me that more than likely they will not appoint one for me since I didn't accept the offer during arraignment and had a $55,000 bond posted for me. But I am certainly going to give it a try; can't hurt I don't suppose!!

ceara19

Kristilove said:
Thank you, Heather2. I spoke with an attorney today and he informed me that more than likely they will not appoint one for me since I didn't accept the offer during arraignment and had a $55,000 bond posted for me. But I am certainly going to give it a try; can't hurt I don't suppose!!
Even if you are appointed an attorney by the court, if you are found guilty (and maybe even if you are found not guilty), you have to pay the court appointed lawyer.

garrula lingua

The bond is a definite problem with having a PD appointed.

You can represent yourself by not pleading (ask to speak w/Prosecutor), just ask the Prosecutor if there is a diversion program you qualify for.

Most states would offer someone like you a program such as 'Deferred Entry of Judgment" also called "Deferred Adjudication" or simply "Diversion" ---first time drug offenders usually are offered a drug program with fees; usu includes random urine analysis and reporting to Probation.

If you are successful in completing the program, and adhere to all the Probation terms, the charges are usu dismissed.

Your first appearance is probably for Arraignment & Plea. If I were you, I would request permission to represent myself, talk to the Prosecutor (no facts about the incident - anything you say concerning the case/your guilt can be used agin you) - just ask for diversion program. If they say you don't qualify, ask what the Prosecutor is offering for a plea.
How your case proceeds is usu entirely up to the Prosecutor. Don't expect to 'talk' or explain anything to the Judge - be polite & courteous to all, but pay very good attention to the Prosecutor and what s/he tells you.

If you're not offered diversion, ask for a continuance (don't enter a plea - tell the Judge you realize you need an atty) and then hire an attorney & share all info w/atty.

It's doubtful any atty can do better than diversion (the charges are dismissed usu); but you should talk to an atty to see if your case is defensable (?probable cause?, ID problem?, etc)

How about mandatory pro bono??

I have read all answers and am taking consideration of them all. The county that I am in, Rockwall, has no such "diversion" programs--not one. I am curious about the mandatory pro bono thing I have been told about. I have done some research online but I haven't found a wealth of information and am not sure if I can just call an attorney and ask if he/she would be interested or exactly how to go about inquiring. Any suggestions or input on this?????

ceara19

Kristilove said:
I have read all answers and am taking consideration of them all. The county that I am in, Rockwall, has no such "diversion" programs--not one. I am curious about the mandatory pro bono thing I have been told about. I have done some research online but I haven't found a wealth of information and am not sure if I can just call an attorney and ask if he/she would be interested or exactly how to go about inquiring. Any suggestions or input on this?????
I assume you are talking about how the state bar requires attorneys to do a certain number pro-bono hours each year. You can call attorneys and ask, but unless there is some kind of overwhelming evidence that proves you are not guilty or your civil rights have been violated, I seriously doubt that you will find a lawyer to represent you for free or even for a reduced rate in a drug case.

You would have been much better off NOT posting bail and hiring an attorney with the money. You can try Northwest Texas Legal Aid.
http://www.lanwt.org/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">