• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Marijuana Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

colint

What is the name of your state? Live in NY. Arrested in Vermont

This past weekend I was arrested in Vermont for Possession of Marijuana. I was givin a citation to appear in court. I was stopped at a checkpoint and caught with 4 marijuana joints equalling less than 2 grams.

I've read that Vermont offers a court diversion program to first time offenders. I'm hoping to learn exactly how this works. If i choose to go the court diversion route, does this mean I will have to commute the 4 hours to Vermont to participate? Or is there a similar program I can enroll in in NY?

Should I hire a lawyer to represent me in my initial court appearance or will the public defender suffice?

This is my first marijuana charge. While in college 4 years ago, I was arrested for using a fake ID to get into a bar in NY, but had the charge dropped to a disorderly conduct violation.

FlyingRon

A public defender is a lawyer that is provided to the indigent who can't afford a private lawyer. They aren't some default service you get if you are unwilling to obtain private counsel.

I'm unsure of the Vermont diversion options (and not overly interested in looking it up, I'd do the same GOOGLING that you yourself could do).

Call a lawyer in the are you were charged in. Most will tell you what your options are on the initial phone call so you can decide whether to retain them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">