• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Offender question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janebond34

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

So here is my story: I am 21, and got an MIP when I was 18 and an MIP when I was 19. The first one i got first offender and completed it without any trouble. the second one i pled guilty, paid a fine, took a class. I went and checked my record at the local sheriff's dep about 2 weeks ago and it was totally clean. Now here is my question: I am applying to graduate school and the application has asked me the following questions:

Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?

Are you currently charged with or have been found guilty of any violation of a federal, state or municipal law, regulation or ordinance other than minor traffic violations, including offenses for which any type of first offender status has been granted?

If neither MIP is on my criminal record, should i just say no to the questions? Or is there still some way they could see it? I have read that only when you are applying for jobs in the medical, law enforcement, and educational fields can they go back and find your sealed first offender record. Do you have any advice? thanks in advance!

Peyton16

hmmm.... what about the legal field? You were convicted of MIP when you were 19, if you want to neglect to disclose that because it's not "on your record" that's your call but it's dishonest an a minimum. If we are talking about law school or something where there is some kind of character and fitness type assessment, you should disclose both or you may end up paying for a degree and never being able to practice in your field. and if we are talking about law school and a bar association, they will find things you didn't even know you did, disclose everything and then some!

I assume your first MIP was dropped when you did community service or something, I've been there, if we're talking about just grad school and the question is "conviction/ed" I would say you can keep that one to yourself. The second one, however, you should disclose because 1) it's the right thing to do; 2) they might find out anyway; 3) you wont have to worried about getting caught in a lie; 4) it's not a big deal, MIP at 19 is not something you are not going to get into school for. If you're worried about it, attach an addendum to you applications explaining how young and stupid you were and how you're glad it happened so you didn't get in any more trouble and now you know why the drinking age is 21, blah blah blah. I applied to law school with an MIP that apparently didn't exist until eventually someone found not a record of an MIP but a record of a ticket for MIP, and I think but don't even really know, a trespassing that what never found. I had to say I think I got a trespassing ticket for driving through a park and paid maybe a $25 fine, but I'm not sure, and it was sometime in 199X. Think of it this way, an MIP almost certainly won't keep you out of school, lying about it, or if the school thinks you lied about it, definitely will.

You should admit that you got caught with alcohol a couple times before you were 21, and you paid your fines. They may not even check your record, but it's still a good idea to be truthful.

It's unlikely that you would be denied entrance to grad school solely because of a couple MIPs. Just don't lie, because if they find out, you will be rejected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">