• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offense : 5 felony charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OB2983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

What's my husband facing his first offense for 5 felony charges for acquiring narcotics under false pretenses? So what do we do now? He pled not guilty.

today was his arraignment. We didn't know about this till we got a call yesterday from the local drug task force. Said they tried to summon him last month but couldn't and this is his 2nd court date if he didn't show they would have a warrant out for his arrest. All of this started when my husband apparently visited the ER to much. Even though he went because he was in pain and can be billed where as he cant at a doctor office. Other wise he would be going there instead of the ER but no insurance = no DR.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Just Blue

What's my husband facing his first offense for 5 felony charges for acquiring narcotics under false pretenses? So what do we do now? He pled not guilty.

today was his arraignment. We didn't know about this till we got a call yesterday from the local drug task force. Said they tried to summon him last month but couldn't and this is his 2nd court date if he didn't show they would have a warrant out for his arrest. All of this started when my husband apparently visited the ER to much. Even though he went because he was in pain and can be billed where as he cant at a doctor office. Other wise he would be going there instead of the ER but no insurance = no DR.

He should hire an attorney and submit PROOF of his medical condition that require the ER visits.

Antigone*

There is way more to the story you're giving us ~ or the story you've been given. No one gets criminally indicted for visiting the E.R. too much.

CdwJava

I will also wager that the amount of narcotics he was prescribed should have lasted him well past the times and dates of subsequent visits. In other words, if he were given a month's worth of Vicodin and he showed up again at that or ANOTHER ER a week later, he's going to raise eyebrows. It could be that he's selling some off.

In any event, what are the specific offenses for which he is accused? In other words, what are the code sections?

- Carl

OB2983

all 5 charges say the same thing and no he never got a month of vicodens they would prescribe like 10 to 12 a time 1-2 every 4-6 hours then like 2 weeks later he went to a differnt hospital because we were at his dads house so went to the hospital out there if we were home then the hospital up here for the same thing and only got the same amount... yes he went a few times... so if thats "dr shopping" then so be it

CdwJava

all 5 charges say the same thing and no he never got a month of vicodens they would prescribe like 10 to 12 a time 1-2 every 4-6 hours then like 2 weeks later he went to a differnt hospital because we were at his dads house so went to the hospital out there if we were home then the hospital up here for the same thing and only got the same amount... yes he went a few times... so if thats "dr shopping" then so be it
It appears to be, yes. I can only imagine that the state has good reason to believe that he committed a crime. His defense attorney will, I'm sure, bring out any and all doctor's diagnoses. He had better hope that each doctor he went to in the ER was fully informed of the other doctor and that he did not make up different tales to each one. they do take notes on these sorts of things, and they will be in the record.

And what is the charge? Okay, five of the same ... what statute number?

- Carl

OB2983

I will also wager that the amount of narcotics he was prescribed should have lasted him well past the times and dates of subsequent visits. In other words, if he were given a month's worth of Vicodin and he showed up again at that or ANOTHER ER a week later, he's going to raise eyebrows. It could be that he's selling some off.

In any event, what are the specific offenses for which he is accused? In other words, what are the code sections?

- Carl
code sections? i have no clue when he went to his arraigment he was never given any thing like papers or any thing should he have recieved something with it on it?

CdwJava

code sections? i have no clue when he went to his arraigment he was never given any thing like papers or any thing should he have recieved something with it on it?
It is the statutes that the state will use to establish the violation. The statutes will tell him (and his attorney) what elements the state must prove in order to make their case. Certainly SOMETHING has a number on it ... a code section, something like "KRS 218.XXX" (or something similar) ... something.

- Carl

OB2983

we have nothing... he has to call a public defender in the morning perhaps he knows... we never recieved a summons we never received anything just a phone call from the drug task force telling him he had a court date the next day and that they couldnt serve the summons (the reason once he got in court was because they had the wrong address) any ways ill get back to this later im at my father in laws and we dont have the net at home

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">