• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Offense-Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Doe2010

I'm a college student in Michigan, and i'm freaking out, probably just overreacting though. Here's the story:

My suitemate and I were smoking in my room, and a cop knocks on my door. He comes in and asks us some questions.. The weed wasn't mine, it was my suitemates, and he told the officer that. So, on my side of things, what am I looking at?

This is the only bad thing on my record...

Thanks so much. I just need some answers, without hiring a legal professional, obviously I don't have the money for that. And my parents CANNOT find out.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

John Doe2010

Gooood. Well here's some more information anyway..

Kalamazoo County, Kalamazoo, MI

Western Michigan University

I'm 18

Didn't get a ticket...

How much will Probation cost me?

Do I have to pay for my court time?

Isis1

Gooood. Well here's some more information anyway..

Kalamazoo County, Kalamazoo, MI

Western Michigan University

I'm 18

Didn't get a ticket...

How much will Probation cost me?

Do I have to pay for my court time?

if you didn't get a ticket, then you have no citation. nor do you have a court date.

you might want to consider rehab, though.

John Doe2010

I appreciate the advice, and the concern, I don't need rehab though. I can count the times that i've smoked on one hand. And I can easily say i'm done. This whole thing is freaking me out..

So, I didn't get a ticket....what does that mean? He told me they would contact me with the court date. All he gave me was his business card.

Oh, it was School Police by the way.

Isis1

I appreciate the advice, and the concern, I don't need rehab though. I can count the times that i've smoked on one hand. And I can easily say i'm done. This whole thing is freaking me out..

So, I didn't get a ticket....what does that mean? He told me they would contact me with the court date. All he gave me was his business card.

Oh, it was School Police by the way.

then you have to wait to be contacted. we would need an actual citation in order to find out the punishment. it helps us help you.

really want to know? call the officer directly.

quincy

Sorry, John. I wound up deleting my first post so I could revise it a bit - but the information you have provided helps.

First, you will probably be offered a diversion program as a first offender, which will include a 6 month probationary period within which you will be required to commit to a certain number of community service hours, attend drug awareness classes, and pay a fine. There is a possibility you could have random drug testing during your probation.

This is if you are charged with smoking marijuana and not possession of marijuana. Smoking marijuana is a misdemeanor subject to a $100 fine and up to 90 days in jail. Possession, on the other hand, can result in a 1 year jail sentence and up to a $2000 fine.

If you are charged with smoking marijuana, and you successfully complete all terms of an offered diversion program, then your charge will be discharged and dismissed, and you will not have the misdemeanor on your record. If you do not complete all terms of the diversion program and/or if you violate any terms of your probation, the misdemeanor can be entered.

You will be responsible for paying all fines and any related costs (ie. costs for ordered classes, court costs, community service transportation).

Because you are 18, your parents do not have to be notified of the charge against you. A school policy, however, may require notification, so you may want to review WMU's drug policy.

The reason I asked about police or campus police is that your ticket may be for violating a city ordinance and not a state law - in which case you could escape with paying a fine and not be faced with a misdemeanor charge. Again, check WMU's drug policy for a better indication.

Edit to add: WMU may impose its own sanctions on students who violate state drug or alcohol laws. These sanctions can be warnings up to expulsion from school (with expulsion being highly unlikely for a first offense marijuana violation). Kalamazoo does not have, yet, a city marijuana ordinance.

Last edited:

John Doe2010

Do you realistically think they would put a first time offender college kid in Jail for 3 months? ****.

This was just a bad idea.

quincy

No, I do not think that they would realistically put a first offender college student in jail for 3 months. The possibility exists that they could, but it is not likely.

Yes, smoking marijuana in your dorm room was a bad idea. But you are not the first kid to have done it, nor will you be the last. You will survive this.

Good luck.

quincy

You're welcome, John. :)

By the way, Western has a substance abuse program through their Office of Student Conduct. If you start "freaking out" again about the ticket you will be receiving, you can always contact this office (anonymously, if you wish) to get some advice. . . . and a little bit of reassurance. ;)

Again, good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">