• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offense. Marijuana and prescriptions. where do I go from here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jetsetpfifer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I'm looking more for what is going to happen next rather than legal advice. The only decision I need to make is whether to get a public defender or a lawyer.

I came home from a long day of work last night around 10pm. Friends were carving pumpkins on the porch and I decided to join them. I had rolled a joint before work to smoke after which I used to do fairly frequently. I sit down to smoke it on my porch, and before I knew it I was in trouble. I look up and four officers are on my porch claiming to smell marijuana. With the joint in my hand, I fessed up immediately. Nobody else was smoking so I took the heat immediately. They threatened to search the house and everyone in it, so my roommates and I decided to take the easy route and fess up. I had about a gram left in my room, while a room mate admitted to having roughly 3 grams. We gave those up while other officers proceeded to search the house. They found nothing else except for a an empty pill which had been hiding on my mantle for some time. I am not exactly sure what the pill is as it has been there for quiet some time. I was either pain pills I had been prescribed, or a study drug such as adderall or vyvance. I don't do those frequently, but some friends do and may have done them one night after a long night of studying and left them there.

I told the officer I didn't know what it was because I truly don't. The pill was empty, just the shell. The Officer said he would test it And get back to me

What is my likely course of action from here on out? What will this lead to?
Any help is appreciated

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I'm looking more for what is going to happen next rather than legal advice. The only decision I need to make is whether to get a public defender or a lawyer.

I came home from a long day of work last night around 10pm. Friends were carving pumpkins on the porch and I decided to join them. I had rolled a joint before work to smoke after which I used to do fairly frequently. I sit down to smoke it on my porch, and before I knew it I was in trouble. I look up and four officers are on my porch claiming to smell marijuana. With the joint in my hand, I fessed up immediately. Nobody else was smoking so I took the heat immediately. They threatened to search the house and everyone in it, so my roommates and I decided to take the easy route and fess up. I had about a gram left in my room, while a room mate admitted to having roughly 3 grams. We gave those up while other officers proceeded to search the house. They found nothing else except for a an empty pill which had been hiding on my mantle for some time. I am not exactly sure what the pill is as it has been there for quiet some time. I was either pain pills I had been prescribed, or a study drug such as adderall or vyvance. I don't do those frequently, but some friends do and may have done them one night after a long night of studying and left them there.

I told the officer I didn't know what it was because I truly don't. The pill was empty, just the shell. The Officer said he would test it And get back to me

Any help is appreciated
If you can afford a lawyer, pay for your own. Public defenders are lawyers. But continue on your merry way. I don't like helping insulting individuals.

quincy

Any help is appreciated
To reiterate what Ohiogal said, public defenders are lawyers. They are court appointed lawyers who represent those who meet certain income guidelines (those whose income is low which prevents them from hiring a private attorney).

If the only decision you need to make is whether to hire a private attorney or have a public defender represent you, then, the odds are good that you will not qualify for a public defender. The decision is one that could be made for you.

The major difference between a private attorney and a public defender, other than cost (and with a public defender you still might have to pay the county back for the lawyer's services), might be that public defenders often have a large caseload and might not be able to devote as much time to any one single case.

It is good that you recognize the need for an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">