• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Offense MIP - Alcohol: Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mge2790

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia, Dekalb county

I was in a car which was pulled for speeding, the cop smelled alcohol and breathalized the whole car. everyone in the car got an MIP because we all failed the breathalizer test.
My questions are:
1. Will this effect my driver's licence/car insurance (even though I was not driving)?
2. I have heard from friends that I could opt for "pretrial intervention" (which I believe consists of community service and a drug and alcohol awareness survey plus I'm sure fines will ensue - after that the charges are expunged) if I wanted to do pretrial would I need a lawyer to contact the court or could I call the court myself and ask them to grant me pretrial?

Thanks for any help

NCcurious

I got an MIP in 04 from a Dekalb cop. I was just walking though. I had a huge group court date with no lawyer, pled guilty and had a hefty fee of $350 I believe. Cash and Money Order only. Learned that the hard way and went on probation for the shortest time in GA history, 17 hours.

Good luck

mge2790

I got an MIP in 04 from a Dekalb cop. I was just walking though. I had a huge group court date with no lawyer, pled guilty and had a hefty fee of $350 I believe. Cash and Money Order only. Learned that the hard way and went on probation for the shortest time in GA history, 17 hours.

Good luck
how did you get off probation so quickly?

mge2790

So is there a final answer as to whether this will effect my licence and/or if I can/should do pretrial intervention?

cyjeff

So is there a final answer as to whether this will effect my licence and/or if I can/should do pretrial intervention?
What part of Ron's answer in #4 - "Six months hard suspension (no restricted license)." was difficult to understand?

mge2790

There seemed to be conflicting information and I have talked to friends who have been in the same situation and not had their licence suspended at all.

cyjeff

There seemed to be conflicting information and I have talked to friends who have been in the same situation and not had their licence suspended at all.
Cool.

Good luck then.

If you have experts helping you, why did you come here?

mge2790

Cool.

Good luck then.

If you have experts helping you, why did you come here?
Sorry I don't recall mentioning any experts in my previous posts, if you could point out where I did that would be helpful.

This is supposed to be a helpful site, not a place where old men get their jollies by ridiculing people in need of advice. So if you have no advice to offer, why are you here?

Thank you to everyone who has provided constructive input, any other information you may have would still be greatly appreciated.

cyjeff

Sorry I don't recall mentioning any experts in my previous posts, if you could point out where I did that would be helpful.
Your last post.

When you mentioned the friends that all told you our advice wasn't accurate.

Those experts.

This is supposed to be a helpful site, not a place where old men get their jollies by ridiculing people in need of advice. So if you have no advice to offer, why are you here?
If you have friends that are the font of all legal wisdom about your case, why are YOU here.

Yes, I get ticked when we look up the statutes so that we can help folks for free, and they come back with..."Well, this delinquent guy I met around a hokah said it wouldn't happen that way. Why aren't you telling me the truth!!!"

Thank you to everyone who has provided constructive input, any other information you may have would still be greatly appreciated.
Which would be, listen to your experts.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">