• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first time offence marijuana possession Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mick54683

Hello, I live in Florida and i was recently released with notice to appear for marijuana possession under twenty grams and underage possession of alcohol. I think there are some things wrong with what happened to me.Anyways heres the story: the cop was dispatched to an underage drinking party down the street me and my friend were smoking a joint and drinking a beer my friend is 17 and i am 18, the cop pulled up behind us (for no reson) we were parked correctly on the side of the road with the car and lights off. The officer then walked upto the car and asked us for our beers. i handed him mine so did my friend. he then said he smelled a strong presence of marijuana so i handed him the joint. He ended up letting my 17 year old friend go no questions asked but then arrested me and charged me with underage possesion of alcohol and possession of under 21 grams of marijuana. My question is can a cop pull you over for no reason? and what should i be expecting as a sentence for this? it is my first offence.
thanks,
Jeremy

Banned_Princess

Hello, I live in Florida and i was recently released with notice to appear for marijuana possession under twenty grams and underage possession of alcohol. I think there are some things wrong with what happened to me.Anyways heres the story: the cop was dispatched to an underage drinking party down the street me and my friend were smoking a joint and drinking a beer my friend is 17 and i am 18, the cop pulled up behind us (for no reson) we were parked correctly on the side of the road with the car and lights off. The officer then walked upto the car and asked us for our beers. i handed him mine so did my friend. he then said he smelled a strong presence of marijuana so i handed him the joint. He ended up letting my 17 year old friend go no questions asked but then arrested me and charged me with underage possesion of alcohol and possession of under 21 grams of marijuana. My question is can a cop pull you over for no reason? and what should i be expecting as a sentence for this? it is my first offence.
thanks,
Jeremy

So, were you sitting in the car smoking and drinking?

They had reason to pull you over or stop you, you were drinking and smoking weed. AND your underage. AND there was a party up the block where there were underage drinkers.

The pull over was good, the ticket and arrest were good.

You will need a lawyer.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

They didn't pull you over. You were already stopped. He walked up and started talking to you while you were in public. That's perfectly acceptable. Drinking in your car (no matter what your age is) is not acceptable. Drinking in public is frequently not acceptable. Underage drinking anywhere is not acceptable. Sounds like he had plenty of probable cause.

Isis1

thanks,
Jeremy

by your statement, you were never pulled over. only detained in the spot where you stood. bummer. you were a sitting duck.

cop asked you for your beers. you gave them to him

cop asked you IF you were smoking a joint, you gave it to him.

mick54683

the cop pulled us over while we were parked and he even put in his report he didn't know we were drinking or smoking till he came upto the car. and he turned his lights on before he walked up to the car.

Isis1

the cop pulled us over while we were parked and he even put in his report he didn't know we were drinking or smoking till he came upto the car. and he turned his lights on before he walked up to the car.
it was still legal.

Antigone*

Jeremy,

The cop did not pull you over, he came up to your parked car. He was well within his rights to do so.

You will need an attorney because you basically nailed yourself by handing everything over.

It does pay to be stupid, and drinking and smoking weed in public is definitely a stupid move on your part.

Isis1

Jeremy,

The cop did not pull you over, he came up to your parked car. He was well within his rights to do so.

You will need an attorney because you basically nailed yourself by handing everything over.

It does pay to be stupid, and drinking and smoking weed in public is definitely a stupid move on your part.
omg.

jeremy? really? dude. you are plastered all over the internet! :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">