• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Offense Marijuana Possesion Nebraska

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karvin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

A couple of days ago a cop pulled me over and found a couple buds I had in my pickup and gave me a citation for possession of marijuana. My questions are

1. Is this considered a misdemeanor? I don't see misdemeanor anywhere on the ticket just citation.

2. I can pay the $300 dollar fine and avoid going to court all together but is this the best thing to do or should I go to court?

3. I go to school and I'm worried about losing my financial aid will I lose this?

4. How long would this stay on my record? I'm worried about future jobs and this being on my record.

Oh and I'm not a minor so I believe any kind of diversion plan is out of the question, but I might be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated I've been losing some sleep over this.

enjoimx

Many criminal attorneys offer free consultations. Try to get a free consultation with an attorney. It will be non-obligational and he will tell you if possession in Nebraska is a misdameanor or not. If not, its just a citation and it wont be on your record. If it is a misdameanor, there are easy ways to get it off your record, even if you are an adult, but you would have to go to court and use a public defendor to negotiate with the court.

Dont pay the ticket straight away, because usually that admits guilt and forfeits your right to trial or legal representation or even deferred judgement. Talk to an attorney.

donkort

Not a misdemeanor

I did some research, and found that first-offense possession of 1 ounce or less of marijuana in Nebraska is a "citation" rather than a misdemeanor. It is "decriminalized." The usual fine is $300.

I'm not sure how it would appear on your record (though it certainly wouldn't give you a criminal record). It doesn't appear as if you were "arrested" (so you could answer "no" to whether you've been arrested on any application. It's rather like a traffic ticket/citation. I would still ask a lawyer to confirm this, though.

You should still obtain the free consultation; it wouldn't hurt. Especially inquire as to how it would appear on your record if you were found guilty of the charge. Who would have access to that record. Employers? Apartment complexes? even Sallie Mae.

It doesn't look as if this is a really big deal--but I would consider this "lesson learned"--and don't pick up a second offense, since THAT becomes a misdemeanor CRIMINAL offense.

karvin

Finacial Aid

Well I was looking over the FAFSA and it says to list ANY drug convictions not just misdemeanors or felonys. It said to count only federal and state convictions. If i just pay the fine I would be convicted in my state, NE, and possibly have my financial aid taken away, at least thats what I'm getting from this.

http://thefafsa.org/drugconviction.htm

Im also already in school and recieving funding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">