• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First-time possession of marijuana while driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

The preview post function on this site deletes posts upon submission. No idea why. You can use the "edit post" feature to add your legal question or concern or you can "reply to thread" and add your question that way.

Please do not start a second thread - this one can be fixed. :)

Thanks.

Pbjakers

I am 18 and live in Ohio. I was smoking in the car while driving along with my friend. We were pulled over because "my back license plate light wasn't illuminating." He noticed the weed on an empty can after he asked me to get out of the car. We admitted everything, told him we had been smoking. He searched the car even though I told him where the weed was, I realize this is part of his job. He didn't find anything else and told me he was appreciative of my cooperation. I told him it was my marijuana. Eventually he let me go without a ticket, but told me I'm getting a minor misdemeanor. I'm meeting the sheriff at the station today. I am nursing student, I go to school 3 days a week and work 3 days a week. I'm wondering if this will affect my current education or my future in getting a job. I did my fair share of research and some websites say 6 month suspension of my license is mandatory, some don't mention it, and some say it probably won't happen, so I don't know what to think. The sheriff physically has my license now and told me that I can pick it up tonight when I meet him at the station. He told me I will have to appear in court.

Thanks.

P.S. Nothing happened to my friend, as he wasn't driving and the weed was technically mine.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am 18 and live in Ohio. I was smoking in the car while driving along with my friend. We were pulled over because "my back license plate light wasn't illuminating." He noticed the weed on an empty can after he asked me to get out of the car. We admitted everything, told him we had been smoking. He searched the car even though I told him where the weed was, I realize this is part of his job. He didn't find anything else and told me he was appreciative of my cooperation. I told him it was my marijuana. Eventually he let me go without a ticket, but told me I'm getting a minor misdemeanor. I'm meeting the sheriff at the station today. I am nursing student, I go to school 3 days a week and work 3 days a week. I'm wondering if this will affect my current education or my future in getting a job. I did my fair share of research and some websites say 6 month suspension of my license is mandatory, some don't mention it, and some say it probably won't happen, so I don't know what to think. The sheriff physically has my license now and told me that I can pick it up tonight when I meet him at the station. He told me I will have to appear in court.

Thanks.

P.S. Nothing happened to my friend, as he wasn't driving and the weed was technically mine.
You will want to speak with an attorney. Don't say anything to the police.

quincy

Thanks.

The charge (and your use of marijuana) does not exactly bode well for you as a nursing student.

Following are links to Ohio's marijuana laws:

http://norml.org/laws/item/ohio-penalties-2

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/ohio-law/ohio-marijuana-laws.html

A burned out bulb is a legitimate reason for a stop by the police. When stopped by the police, you should never admit to having done anything criminal but instead you should always assert your right to remain silent. If you were not tested at the scene or later, however, you should escape the worst of the consequences possible for driving while under the influence of a drug.

Instead of speaking to the police on your own, you should have an attorney with you when you see the sheriff. Let your attorney do the talking.

Last edited:

quincy

Here is a link to a Criminal History Fact Sheet for nurses in Ohio (the link is from 2013 but I did not run across any recent changes): http://www.nursing.ohio.gov/PDFS/Discipline/CRIMINAL_HISTORY_FACT_SHEET-July_2013.pdf

A misdemeanor drug law violation is not an automatic bar to obtaining a nursing license in Ohio. It will be up to the Board to determine how much weight to give it. Previous drug use and abuse is not generally a quality looked for in an applicant, however.

If you are sincere in your desire to become a nurse, you should stop using drugs now.

quincy

Thanks a lot my particular case doesn't jeopardize my career in nursing.
Well, any illegal drug use is considered because you have to answer honestly on your application about it. That said, it is not a BAR to becoming a nurse. You just have to make sure you do not have a second offense.

(by the way, your other post was reported - please read the terms and conditions of this site - vulgar language is prohibited)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Thanks a lot my particular case doesn't jeopardize my career in nursing.

Of course it can. And it should.

Anyone who feels it's alright to smoke weed while driving doesn't have much common sense and should not be in the health care profession.

quincy

Of course it can. And it should.

Anyone who feels it's alright to smoke weed while driving doesn't have much common sense and should not be in the health care profession.
I am actually surprised the officer said s/he would only receive a minor misdemeanor for the marijuana possession and use while driving.

Perhaps the trip to see the sheriff (hopefully with attorney in tow), and the appearance in court, can make Pbjakers see a bit more clearly what is at risk if the drug use continues.

Oh. And a drug conviction can affect financial aid, too. Forgot to mention that earlier.

Again, an attorney would be helpful. I hope Pbjakers is taking this seriously enough to consider having one assist.

quincy

I suggest you rethink your career goals. Few places would want to hire someone with substance abuse issues, to handle drugs.
It was a very similar suggestion made by another forum member that led to a, um, not very nice post by Pbjakers. ;)

A nursing career is not out of the question for Pb, though, if s/he takes this current marijuana incident and learns from it - and by learning from it I mean not to use marijuana again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">