• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL 2yr license suspension for pos, other states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chadcc

What is the name of your state? Florida
My question is I was on county probation for pos. of marijuana <20 in FL and reciently violated my probation by being caught with a small amout of marijuana and 2 zanax pills. I went to circuit court because the charge for the pills was a felony and i pled no contest to a plea agreement for 18m of state probation with withheld adjudication. Then I went to county court for V.O.P and I got them to restore my probation and 45days but they made me adjudicated for the original charge which caused me to lose my license for 2yr.. I asked my probation officer about this and she says that I was adjudicated because I admited to violating my probation and theirfor there was nothing that I could do about it. I am wondering did i have to admit to violating being i was never formally charged in circuit court? If not could i apeal and make any difference in the case outcome?

The second part of my question is how would this affect licensing in other states since others do not posess such long license suspensions for small marijuana possessions. Could i get a license anywhere else? could another state give me back my license sooner since their penalitys differ or would they just honnor the fl suspension.

Sorry for my question being so long and drawn out...

thanks chad

The Occultist

Even if you never confessed to your PO about your violation, he would have found out eventually. You are REQUIRED to alert your PO about every contact with law enforcement. If your PO found out on his own, you'd be in even more trouble.

outonbail

I believe that you're going to have a hard time finding any state that will overlook the Florida suspension. But I don't see where this would make much difference, because if you're on felony probation, you're not permitted to leave the state of Florida unless you're given permission by your probation officer. So how could you move or even travel to another state, for any reason, without being in violation of your probation?
I can't see your probation officer granting you permission to travel to say Ohio so you could obtain an Ohio drivers license. Even if you could procure a license from another state, you couldn't use it to drive in Florida anyway.
So what do you expect to accomplish?
If you just skipped out on Florida and moved to another state, Florida would issue a warrant for your arrest and from what I've heard about Florida, they extradite everyone regardless of what state they're picked up in and then hold you responsible for the cost they incur in doing so.
I'd think you would be better off looking into what it would take to get a restricted license in Florida, so you could drive to and from work. If this is not possible, then you'll be left with peddling or riding a bus for a couple of years. You're not the first person facing this situation so you'll just have to suck it up and make do the best you can. It sounds like your biggest hurdle will be staying away from drugs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">