• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to confess!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AmandaD

A friend and I had a big night out planned. But before we went out she wanted to stop by a friend's house in Detroit, MI. I waited in the car while she went in. Neither of us had any intention of purchaseing drugs, she just merely wanted to visit a friend real quick, and i was with her and stayed in the car. Seconds after we left the house we were pulled over. The cops (all 5 of them) asked us what we were doing. We told them the truth, visiting a friend! That was'nt the answer they wanted! They then seperated us and after ten minutes of threats and interrogation I told them "we came to buy pot." The cops threatened to arrest us and impound her car if we did'nt confess to it. So we were given a ticket for "loitering in a known Narcotics area." This can't be fair! First of all, 75% of Detroit is a known narcotics area. So does this mean we are not allowed anywhere in Detroit unless we live there?! And secondly they had no hard evidence that we had purchased drugs. They did'nt find any paraphanalia on us, and could'nt prove anything. However I did confess to buying pot. But only after I was threatened and very scared! Now even if my friend actually did intend to buy pot, I was just an innocent bi-stander waiting in the car! Does anyone have any advice on how I can fight this? We are both innocent, with completely clean records! How can we prove we were scared into confession?

racer72

You present no evidence that the citation is not valid. You were not cited for purchasing or possession of drugs. Your discription of what happened describes a drug buy and gave the officers the intent they needed. If you feel that the citation is worth fighting, I would suggest seeing a lawyer immediately. BTW, do not expect a judge to accept your story, he probably hears the same story many times every day.

calatty

On these facts, it looks like the cops stopped your car illegally, that is, without probable cause or a reasonable suspicion. Your confession may also be illegally obtained if you were not advised of your Miranda rights first. In addition, I don't know if there has been any litigation around that loitering law, but it sounds constitutionally suspect. You should get a lawyer and fight the charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">