• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced rehab?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coton

California - If a close friend or family member is a heavy alcoholic and tends to get violent when drinking if she assaults somebody in the family and you press charges can you press for forced rehab or will they be incarcerated?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
California - If a close friend or family member is a heavy alcoholic and tends to get violent when drinking if she assaults somebody in the family and you press charges can you press for forced rehab or will they be incarcerated?
Rehab won't work unless the alcoholic/addict WANTS to change. Otherwise, it's a waste of time/money. :cool:

Banned_Princess

Waste of time, money and hope.

How about you just have him aressted and let him learn a lesson which ever way the court wants him to.

W

Willlyjo

This is a prime example of the behavior that probably led to the massacre in Ct. Our society needs to address such behavior agressively and in a timely fashion. Based on today's events, I believe there will soon be laws that do just that.

st-kitts

If you invite a police response, expect a police response and not a mental health intervention. Criminal charges are not an effective path toward mental health treatment, but they may force the person toward rock bottom and force them to experience the consequences of their actions.

W

Willlyjo

As I said, the behavior of the family member is profound enough that it should be reported and action should be taken that will allow this person to get treatment for his behavior up to and including incarceration.

The time to take responsibility for reporting such behavior is long overdue and the responsibility of those authorities to address such behavior in an adequate fashion should be mandatory in view of the latest of frequent massacres in our society that stems from behaviors such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Willlyjo

Re. what I've quoted above: What an amazingly ignorant statement.
How so? Is it not true that someone who displays anger, becomes violent and assaults somebody may end up killing people if his behavior isn't addressed appropriately? I'm sure there were red flags that those close to him ignored, concerning the person who massacred the poor children in CT. There were red flags surrounding the killer in Colorado (both at the Theater and Columbine).

Perhaps if society takes a closer look as such red flags and addresses them, there will be alot less tragedies. How can you disagree with that or call it ignorant to state it?

By the way Quincy, a great, self professed *cough*writer such as you should never have mispelled Newtown "Newton" like you did in a previous thread. ;)

Last edited:

quincy

This is a prime example of the behavior that probably led to the massacre in Ct. . . .
Why is this thread, with a question about an alcoholic who becomes violent, a "prime example of behavior that probably led to the massacre" in Connecticut, Willly? What role did alcohol play in the killings in Newtown, Willly?

What role did alcohol play in the Ratzmann killings in Wisconsin? In the Weise killings in Minnesota? In the San Marco killings in California? In the Huff killings in Washington? In the Roberts killings in Pennsylvania? In the TaloviA killings in Utah? In the Cho killings in Virginia? In the Peterson killings in Wisconsin? In the Hawkins killings in Nebraska? In the Thorton killings in Missouri? In the Kazmierczak killings in Illinois? In the Higdon killings in Kentucky? In the Stewart killings in North Carolina? In the Wong killings in New York? In the Hasan killings in Texas? In the Clemmons killings in Washington? In the Thorton killings in Connecticut? In the Loughner killings in Arizona? In the Sencion killings in Nevada? In the DeKraai killings in California? In the Paek killings? In the Goh killings? In the Stawecki killings? In the Holmes killings? In the Page killings? In the Engeldinger killings? In the Lanza killings?

While an alcoholic or other addict could be mentally ill, those who are mentally ill are not necessarily alcoholics or addicts. You trying to connect this post about an alcoholic to the Newtown killings shows your ignorance.

Last edited:

Just Blue

How so? Is it not true that someone who displays anger, becomes violent and assaults somebody may end up killing people if his behavior isn't addressed appropriately? I'm sure there were red flags that those close to him ignored, concerning the person who massacred the poor children in CT. There were red flags surrounding the killer in Colorado (both at the Theater and Columbine).

Perhaps if society takes a closer look as such red flags and addresses them, there will be alot less tragedies. How can you disagree with that or call it ignorant to state it?

By the way Quincy, a great, self professed *cough*writer such as you should never have mispelled Newtown "Newton" like you did in a previous thread. ;)
Stop it you dimwit.:(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I thought incarceration was a form of "forced rehab"

CdwJava

If the assault is a misdemeanor, then the person could be charged for battery per PC 242 (a misdemeanor). If the battery occurred inside a residence or other entirely private venue, then a public intoxication arrest would not happen.

The sentencing MIGHT include alcohol counseling or prohibition from consuming alcohol, but that is by no means a guarantee - especially on a first conviction. And, no, the victim has no direct say on the punishment, though the victims wishes are required to be heard should the victim want to have their say.

W

Willlyjo

Stop it you dimwit.:(
Stop what? Posting an opinion that reflects that an ignorant society should finally take steps to address behavior that is strange and/or violent in an effort to prevent tragedies such as that which have been frequent in our society lately? I've been telling anyone who would listen for years that such steps must be taken in order to prevent such tragedies as frequently as they are now happening and will happen on a much more frequent level as our population explodes.

I'd like to know why you reported my post. I really haven't a clue. You probably reported my last post as well, although there was nothing abusive about it. I'm simply offering advice that I gave decades ago after the massacre in San Isidro at the MacDonald's. Our society has had its head buried in the sand with regard to simple measures that probably would have prevented a few of these massacres and now, finally, it seems like there will be more attention placed on the mental health of those who display the tell-tale signs of mental problems that have been proven to exist (but yet ignored) concerning those who committed such atrocities.

Reporting my posts that reflect my concern about such ignorance is nothing more than...well, if I can use the expression...burying one's head in the sand. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">