• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged Prescriptions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruby27

New York

I am a veterinarian practicing in the State of New York. I have found out from a local pharmacy that a long time employee of mine has been using prescriptions stolen from my office and illegally signing my name to obtain a schedule 111 narcotic (hydrocodone). This has been going on for 8-10 years without my knowledge.The narcotics were supposedly being used for this employees pet to control a coughing problem. When I confronted the employee she admitted to forging my name on the prescriptions and obviously has an addiction problem as she is taking the drugs. The pharmacy will obviously not allow her to fill any prescriptions in the future. She is seeking help for her drug issues and I dont want to prosecute her but also dont want to leave myself open to any criminal allegations. The pharmacist says I should't report it because it would lead to an investigation and cause problems for all parties involved. Since he filled all these prescriptions he may be protecting his interests and not mine.

Isis1

New York

I am a veterinarian practicing in the State of New York. I have found out from a local pharmacy that a long time employee of mine has been using prescriptions stolen from my office and illegally signing my name to obtain a schedule 111 narcotic (hydrocodone). This has been going on for 8-10 years without my knowledge.The narcotics were supposedly being used for this employees pet to control a coughing problem. When I confronted the employee she admitted to forging my name on the prescriptions and obviously has an addiction problem as she is taking the drugs. The pharmacy will obviously not allow her to fill any prescriptions in the future. She is seeking help for her drug issues and I dont want to prosecute her but also dont want to leave myself open to any criminal allegations. The pharmacist says I should't report it because it would lead to an investigation and cause problems for all parties involved. Since he filled all these prescriptions he may be protecting his interests and not mine.
i would definitely consult an attorney in this regard. look around for attorneys who do free consults.

is this employee still working for you?

Antigone*

New York

Your objective is to protect your license and your future. You should reported this as soon as you found out. Who knows, this employee could have given scripts to her friends.

ruby27

yes, the employee is still on the payroll. I just found out yesterday. She is a mother with 2 kids and I dont feel that "turning her in will" benefit anyone.

If the pharmacy didnt feel a need to report the situation am I legally bound to report this. I would probably ruin her life more than it already is and I have taken steps to make sure it won't happen again.

Could I be considered a party to this if I dont report it

Antigone*

yes, the employee is still on the payroll. I just found out yesterday. She is a mother with 2 kids and I dont feel that "turning her in will" benefit anyone.

If the pharmacy didnt feel a need to report the situation am I legally bound to report this. I would probably ruin her life more than it already is and I have taken steps to make sure it won't happen again.

She committed a Federal offense. You not reporting this can be seen as complicity and aiding her in commiting a crime.

I am in shock that you still allow this person on your property, boy are you a walking liability nightmare.:eek:

Isis1

i agree with antigone!! fire that woman!! being a mother with 2 children is NOT an excuse to commit forgery.

you were informed you were involved in a crime. DO SOMETHING about it!!!:confused:

cyjeff

As a person licensed to dispense medication, you are a mandatory reporter of such things.

Failure to do so could result in your license being suspended or revoked.

Of course, the pharmacist is in the same boat... I would guess there is more to that story, though.

Deadlegend

I dont think that turning her in would really matter. Just make things a whole lot worse for her.

As far as you being legally responsible for it i dont think that they could get you on that.

However, i would like to say that i would definately fire her. You dont want to wait and have her begin rehab, because then she will be protected under the ADA (americans with disabilities act).

If the time comes when you do want her gone youll have a hell of a time trying to get her fired when under the ADA.

j4bs4209333

I don't have any pets so I don't know what a vet prescription looks like, but having a federal DEA number, I would assume your prescription pad is numbered. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Didn't you notice any of your prescription papers missing over 8-10 years? Hydrocodone isn't very strong, an addict could go through that stuff pretty fast so she must have been writing them monthly or more frequently. I'd assume someone would notice their pad getting thinner. I think the guy at the pharmacy was advising you not to file charges to protect himself for filling the scripts for so long. After 8-10 yrs and from your hesitation to file charges, I would assume you must have become friends over the years, or at least have a relationship a little stronger than employee/employer? I wouldn't file charges either. I assume a vet's dea number is known to be a vet right? Meaning she couldn't write in her own name and fill them at CVS using her insurance? If that happened I would say watch yourself because it could look like an insurance scam to get meds. If that's not the case then I wouldn't file charges. I would hold it over her head and force her to seek help, and I wouldn't keep her as an employee because what happens now that you busted her? Is she going to resort to stealing from you to buy her drugs?

cyjeff

I don't have any pets so I don't know what a vet prescription looks like, but having a federal DEA number, I would assume your prescription pad is numbered. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Didn't you notice any of your prescription papers missing over 8-10 years? Hydrocodone isn't very strong, an addict could go through that stuff pretty fast so she must have been writing them monthly or more frequently. I'd assume someone would notice their pad getting thinner. I think the guy at the pharmacy was advising you not to file charges to protect himself for filling the scripts for so long. After 8-10 yrs and from your hesitation to file charges, I would assume you must have become friends over the years, or at least have a relationship a little stronger than employee/employer? I wouldn't file charges either. I assume a vet's dea number is known to be a vet right? Meaning she couldn't write in her own name and fill them at CVS using her insurance? If that happened I would say watch yourself because it could look like an insurance scam to get meds. If that's not the case then I wouldn't file charges. I would hold it over her head and force her to seek help, and I wouldn't keep her as an employee because what happens now that you busted her? Is she going to resort to stealing from you to buy her drugs?
I guess I stutter.

As a person licensed to dispense medication, you are a mandatory reporter of such things.

Failure to do so could result in your license being suspended or revoked.

There is no other option. Failure to report will be seen as an accessory to the behavior.

commentator

From a person who has great familiarity with addicts, "hold it over her head and insist she'll have to get treatment" and your butt will be turned in to the drug hotline, by her, before you can turn around. She'll swear you are the addict who's been forcing her to fill these prescriptions for you. Good luck proving otherwise.

A mother with two kids who is a pain pill addict has been forging prescriptions on you, and filing charges against her and stopping her is your option, or letting her get away with it.(She says she's getting help!) For a responsible human being and citizen, this is a no brainer.

In addition to being the only right, legal mandatory thing you can do to protect yourself in this situation, turning her in is the best thing in the world you can possibly do for her. As long as she can talk you out of it, she's still going to play games. Terminate her, turn her in, and try to disassociate yourself from this situation, or you will very soon be the EX-vet, unlicensed to practice, not able to help anyone. An addict will take down their own dying grandmother as they're going, their children, their friends, the family pet; despite any number of prayers and promises, she will do anything she can do to get the drugs, it is her utmost goal in life. Treatment will not work unless she is really scared and committed and has no choice. She will go down and drag you right with her for all your kindness of not turning her in.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">