• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forging Prescriptions to fake patients

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wonderment

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

My friend's daughter and his daughter's boyfriend are both Hydrocodone addicts (both in their mid- to late-20's). The Boyfriend gained access to a doctor's DEA number (I believe he was a nurse for the doctor) and was calling in Rx's to several local pharmacies in the name of fake patients. Both the daughter and the BF hit rock bottom (lots of story here, including the daughter now having some DUI arrests and waiting on court for those). Somehow, the BF found a slot in Rehab but the daughter has been waiting to get in. Daughter, meanwhile, started going to NA and goes nearly every night and seems to be on the road to recovery. Boyfriend got out of rehab and got right back on the prescription scheme. Daughter wants to stay clean, but doesn't want to give up BF and thinks she can help him. The BF, by the way, was under investigation for this not too long ago,

My friend has resolved to report the Boyfriend in the interest of protecting his daughter; however, he has precious little to go on besides knowing it's going on (and this is knowledge, not suspicion). He knows the Boyfriend's name. Doesn't know the doc's name, doesn't know for sure which pharmacies (knows one for sure, others are in the same chain, but a nearby large town), doesn't know patients' names, doesn't know what dates the Rx's have been filled or picked up. Presumably he is picking up under his own name, but he might even have a fake ID for that?

Is this enough for authorities to work from? How interested are the authorities going to be in pursuing this? Would the pharmacy be more interested in knowing they are being used?

Any insight or suggestion about how to proceed would be helpful.

TIA

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

My friend's daughter and his daughter's boyfriend are both Hydrocodone addicts (both in their mid- to late-20's). The Boyfriend gained access to a doctor's DEA number (I believe he was a nurse for the doctor) and was calling in Rx's to several local pharmacies in the name of fake patients. Both the daughter and the BF hit rock bottom (lots of story here, including the daughter now having some DUI arrests and waiting on court for those). Somehow, the BF found a slot in Rehab but the daughter has been waiting to get in. Daughter, meanwhile, started going to NA and goes nearly every night and seems to be on the road to recovery. Boyfriend got out of rehab and got right back on the prescription scheme. Daughter wants to stay clean, but doesn't want to give up BF and thinks she can help him. The BF, by the way, was under investigation for this not too long ago,

My friend has resolved to report the Boyfriend in the interest of protecting his daughter; however, he has precious little to go on besides knowing it's going on (and this is knowledge, not suspicion). He knows the Boyfriend's name. Doesn't know the doc's name, doesn't know for sure which pharmacies (knows one for sure, others are in the same chain, but a nearby large town), doesn't know patients' names, doesn't know what dates the Rx's have been filled or picked up. Presumably he is picking up under his own name, but he might even have a fake ID for that?

Is this enough for authorities to work from? How interested are the authorities going to be in pursuing this? Would the pharmacy be more interested in knowing they are being used?

Any insight or suggestion about how to proceed would be helpful.

TIA

**A: I'm sure you realize that both of them are in deep you know what.

dave33

Wonderment, not sure about Texas, but in my state and most states a dea# is not required for hydrocodone. The police and pharmacy would certainly be interested in this. That being said,involving the police is not alwaqys the answer. If you have an issue with what someone is doing, than talk to THAT person.

The daughters issues are just that, her issues. She needs to get help. The boyfriend resolving his issue willl not resolve her issues.

Wonderment

**A: I'm sure you realize that both of them are in deep you know what.
Yes, and my friend is aware that he may be sacrificing his daughter when he turns in the BF. BUT - the daughter has already had two accidents in less than two weeks while under the influence and he would rather her lose her freedom than someone else lose their life because of her.

On the plus side, the daughter has demonstrated a willingness to clean up, which will hopefully play to her advantage in upcoming court matters. So far, she hasn't been sucked back into drug use, although as long as she is associating with the BF it's probably just a matter of time before temptation wins out. And that's one big reason why my friend wants to shut things down now.

HomeGuru

Yes, and my friend is aware that he may be sacrificing his daughter when he turns in the BF. BUT - the daughter has already had two accidents in less than two weeks while under the influence and he would rather her lose her freedom than someone else lose their life because of her.

On the plus side, the daughter has demonstrated a willingness to clean up, which will hopefully play to her advantage in upcoming court matters. So far, she hasn't been sucked back into drug use, although as long as she is associating with the BF it's probably just a matter of time before temptation wins out. And that's one big reason why my friend wants to shut things down now.
**A: they will be forced to "clean up" soon.

dave33

What do you mean?
I mean that maybe the dilemma would more likely be the problem with deciding what is the right thing to do.

Reporting this would be a simple matter of picking up the phone.

The state rarely is successful with having effective solutions for addiction. To put someone in jail is easy. To discover a long term solution is a much more involved matter that involving the police many times has the opposite effect that one is trying to achieve.

Wonderment

I mean that maybe the dilemma would more likely be the problem with deciding what is the right thing to do.

Reporting this would be a simple matter of picking up the phone.

The state rarely is successful with having effective solutions for addiction. To put someone in jail is easy. To discover a long term solution is a much more involved matter that involving the police many times has the opposite effect that one is trying to achieve.
I hear what you are saying. In fact, I’ve dealt with drug issues with my own daughter, only she was doing illegal drugs – we chose not to involve the police, but the details were a little different.

Anyway, I think he’s decided that reporting the boyfriend IS the right thing to do – at this point and time his daughter is on the road to recovery and the BF threatens to muddy it up. The question is – What agency would be the one to call? Is this local police? Feds (Because of the federally-issued DEA # - and there are Schedule II drugs included with respect to the boyfriend, but the daughter’s drug of choice is hydrocodone)? Is this for the pharmacy or the doctor to pursue? Would anyone listen to him with so little information, or should he try to gather more information before reporting?

His goal is not to rehab the boyfriend – it’s to get rid of him. Whatever charges the daughter is facing are likely already in front of her (she’s awaiting trial for DUI and possession). She is working to clean up her act and get her legal issues behind her, but with the BF back and up to the same ol’ same ol’, it’s only a matter of time before she has more trouble ahead.

dave33

She is an adult. She is the only one that can "get rid of him". Again, things could easily backfire. Something like this could easily make her HATE him and actually continue this behavior out of spite. Anyway, if he insists than the local police would be place to lodge the complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">