• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend in Florida caught receiving marijuana in mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

Up here in Maryland, they'd have stormed the place, held everybody at gunpoint and shot the family dogs.

hahaonyou

rightyfully so! I have a question for the senior members about this case. Maybe I just didn't read it but what would cause the feds or dea to get involved in this case or a case similiar?

FlyingRon

rightyfully so! I have a question for the senior members about this case. Maybe I just didn't read it but what would cause the feds or dea to get involved in this case or a case similiar?
Shipping illicit drugs (and a lot of other stuff) in the USPS is a federal offense. That's usually what gets you started. Postal Inspectors, DEA, FBI. I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp. The US Mail is what gives federal jurisdiction, not the amount of drugs or gravity of the offense.

acmb05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLorida

I have a dear friend who...we will say she has Multiple sclerosis (it's actually a similar disease with a different name, but MS is the one people are familiar with). She lives in a conservative county in northern Florida.

So, on to the question. She was alleged to have received 15 grams of cannabis in the mail from a person in California, and the police came with a search warrant after, I assume, finding the package. I am very worried about her, but at the same time, I know that a regular charge for 15 grams would be drug court and dismissal of charges.

But is receiving it in the mail from another state the same type of charge as just randomly getting caught with it? That's the question. Remember, this is just a small, routine misdemeanor quantity, but it came in the mail.
The charge carries maximum penalties of 12 years in prison and a $25,000 fine no matter what the amount was. Shipping drugs of any amount in the mail can get your "friend" some serious jail time.

acmb05

Oh and just so you know, the postal inspector offers a $50,000 reward for information about drugs shipped through the mail. So next time your "friend" is going to get a package just call them up and your kids college will be paid for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">