• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend thrown in jail even though he passed his drug test.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChronicKing2000

I live in the state of Wisconsin. Well recently someone told my friends parole officer that he was smoking weed so she drug tested him. It came back clean and she still sent him to jail for no stated reason, this cannot be legal, please help!!!

commentator

Oh boy, another person who wants to sue their parole officer. If your friend exhibited a bad attitude, or gave this officer of the court a bad feeling, or if they found the story that was told about him by someone else believable, they can violate him. It's up to their judgment. Drug tests can be beaten. Just because he passed a drug test does not give him the "right" to remain out of jail.

Your friend is in the legal system because he broke the law. Now this officer of the court can do whatever they think is best with him. He sort of lost his rights in this situation when he was sentenced and assigned to a parole officer.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The bottom line is it's your friend's problem not yours. He has to be the one to deal with it not you.

calatty

Parole violations have to be supported by good cause. He should have received notice of what his violation charge is and he has a right to a hearing at which the parole officer has to prove a violation. A "bad feeling" is not enough to violate someone's parole.

Ladyback1

I live in the state of Wisconsin. Well recently someone told my friends parole officer that he was smoking weed so she drug tested him. It came back clean and she still sent him to jail for no stated reason, this cannot be legal, please help!!!

ahhhhh....did it come back "clean" for all illegal substances? Even if was clean for marijuana, it very well could have shown that your "friend" had been using other substances!

Just Blue

You should not be posting your "friends" legal issues on the internet. :mad:

dave33

It sounds highly unlikely that you have the full story.

commentator

I agree. Full story. A bad feeling is something that can cause the P.O. to check on everything a whole lot more thoroughly. And usually, when the checks are done...their clients rarely prove them wrong. To violate legally, the preponderance of evidence must be present that your friend was violating the conditions of his parole. Association with other known offenders could be a condition. There are any number of conditions he could have violated. Your friend might appeal if he was violated because he failed a drug test done such and such date, and he did not fail the drug test. Is that what it says? You need to let him worry about this one.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">