• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia - Loitering for Drug "Ticket"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gagirl1978

What is the name of your state? GA (Dekalb County)

I was with a friend at a bar, a crowded bar over the weekend. Extremely crowded. I sat at a table with my friend and two other gentleman we went to school with. Behind us a gentleman began to spark marijuana. Police came by and asked my friend and I to get up and walk with us to the door. A little confused because we weren't the ones who lit the MJ, she and I walk to the front with the officer.

The officer was very aggressive and said, "I don't know what you are thinking about the rules around here, but we don't smoke marijuana here." (Uh, the guy inside is though.) My friend said nothing. I said, "officer, I don't know what you mean, I wasn't smoking marijuana". He doesn't believe me. WOW. He tries to encourage me to "confess" of something I was not doing and said since I didn't want to cooperate, "he had something for me". One of the gentleman that I knew in the club (he was not smoking the stuff) came out and asked me if I was okay while the officer was speaking to me. The officer began yelling at him and telling him if he didn't walk away he would arrest him. (???? Really ???). The officer starts back rudely speaking to me and asked for my ID and asks if "there is anything in my background---that he would find by running my license number" (WHAT?!). I told him no. He ran my info, I assume nothing came back. He hands me a ticket and the charge is "Loitering for drugs" with a local ordinance of 16-45-2. I am pissed. Here I am. Not a drug on me, calling myself hanging out for a drink some dud is lighting up a doobie and I get accused of it and get a ticket for it, while the guy is probably still inside smoking!! Really? So, I plan on going to court because I didn't do it (number 1), it's an expensive ticket (like $600) and the officer was way out of hand. I'm not sure if it considered excessive force when an officer is yelling and screaming and being overly aggressive to two females.

On the ticket, the officer wrote that the time was 1PM. When, in fact, it was actually 1AM.

How should I handle this? Is there a way to file a complaint on an officer before the court date? Please advise. Thanks!

RinGA

loitering for ticket

Hi. I got into a similar situation in Dekalb county on Friday night in a bar. You're lucky, I spent the night in jail then released without bond. Please contact me at [email protected] if you could, I would like to hear how your court went and get the details. scary stuff and would end my career.

racer72

Hi. I got into a similar situation in Dekalb county on Friday night in a bar. You're lucky, I spent the night in jail then released without bond. Please contact me at [email protected] if you could, I would like to hear how your court went and get the details. scary stuff and would end my career.
Did you happen to notice this thread was almost 8 months old and that the OP has never been back to this site?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">