• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting charges dropped.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kknott713

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

The situation is that I was driving my car, and I need to get the registration changed over (I bought it from my cousin and my dad signed the title be we have yet to get it changed over). There was a cop running tags and pulled me over for my registration. In the process, he also searched me finding less than a gram of marijuana. I was honestly holding it for a friend, and I could take a drug test to prove that I have not smoked marijuana. Is there anything I can do to get this possession charge off of my record? I have a baby on the way and am really trying to find a job and I don't want this to hurt me in doing so.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

The situation is that I was driving my car, and I need to get the registration changed over (I bought it from my cousin and my dad signed the title be we have yet to get it changed over). There was a cop running tags and pulled me over for my registration.
All that to say, the car was not properly registered.
kknott713 said:
In the process, he also searched me finding less than a gram of marijuana.
That was more straightforward.
kknott713 said:
I was honestly holding it for a friend,
:rolleyes:
Well THAT must make it legal.
kknott713 said:
and I could take a drug test to prove that I have not smoked marijuana.
Smoking it isn't the only illegal thing you can do with it.

"Holding it for a friend" is one of the other illegal things you can do with it.
kknott713 said:
Is there anything I can do to get this possession charge off of my record? I have a baby on the way and am really trying to find a job and I don't want this to hurt me in doing so.
You don't want it to hurt you.

But you didn't register your vehicle and drove it anyway.

But you were "holding" an illegal substance.

Your actions and your words aren't matching.

kknott713

I can understand that it's illegal, but my question is, is there anyway to get the charges lowered or anything? The car was on the 31st day of the 30 days you have to get it registered. And actually the car is getting registered to my dad's name. He had borrowed it a few times, and I actually thought he had taken care of it already.

kknott713

And I'm not saying it's legal to hold it for a friend. I'm just asking if there is anything that can be done to help. It was a small amount, and in my opinion, even as a non-smoker it should be legal. There are people doing much worse out there and causing harm to themselves (even though I know that doesn't matter because it's still legal)

kknott713

All that to say, the car was not properly registered.

That was more straightforward.

Well THAT must make it legal.

Smoking it isn't the only illegal thing you can do with it.

"Holding it for a friend" is one of the other illegal things you can do with it.

You don't want it to hurt you.

But you didn't register your vehicle and drove it anyway.

But you were "holding" an illegal substance.

Your actions and your words aren't matching.

And you didn't really have to be sarcastic, I was asking a question if you didn't have an answer you didn't have to post.

Silverplum

It's past time for you to grow up.

Your evasions are merely evasions. For instance, there is no "31st day." There are 30 days to register: after that, you're out of grace. And your "argument" regarding the legal status of marijuana is simply laughable.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I can understand that it's illegal, but my question is, is there anyway to get the charges lowered or anything? The car was on the 31st day of the 30 days you have to get it registered. And actually the car is getting registered to my dad's name. He had borrowed it a few times, and I actually thought he had taken care of it already.
And I'm not saying it's legal to hold it for a friend. I'm just asking if there is anything that can be done to help. It was a small amount, and in my opinion, even as a non-smoker it should be legal. There are people doing much worse out there and causing harm to themselves (even though I know that doesn't matter because it's still legal)
And you didn't really have to be sarcastic, I was asking a question if you didn't have an answer you didn't have to post.

kknott713

It's past time for you to grow up.

Your evasions are merely evasions. For instance, there is no "31st day." There are 30 days to register: after that, you're out of grace. And your "argument" regarding the legal status of marijuana is simply laughable.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I need to grow up? It's not like you were there, I know the mistake I made, I asked a legal question not for anyone to defend me or agree with what i did so why don't you just take your nasty attitude elsewhere? No one told you to post your rude ass comments.

seniorjudge

I need to grow up? It's not like you were there, I know the mistake I made, I asked a legal question not for anyone to defend me or agree with what i did so why don't you just take your nasty attitude elsewhere? No one told you to post your rude ass comments.
Actually, it was not a mistake.

It was an intentional choice you made.

Tell the judge that when your lawyer asks for a reduced charge; it will make you look good.

kknott713

Actually, it was not a mistake.

It was an intentional choice you made.

Tell the judge that when your lawyer asks for a reduced charge; it will make you look good.
Once again, it WAS a mistake, you weren't there and don't know the whole situation and apparently when I try to explain that, I get the response "all of that to say you were driving an unregistered vehicle" and maybe I will tell the judge that, it'll be great. All I have to do is pay fines, My question is how long to I have to wait, or how can I get that off of my record since it is only a misdemeanor. and ONCE AGAIN please take your rude self else where, I see how people get helped on these boards is by ignorant people who shouldn't even be allowed to come in contact with another human being.

cyjeff

Yeah, the drug mule doesn't have a problem with pot.

There's a surprise.

Anyway, it was a legal stop. Under what circumstances was the pot found? Where was it? Did you admit to it being in the car? Were drug dogs involved?

seniorjudge

Once again, it WAS a mistake, you weren't there and don't know the whole situation and apparently when I try to explain that, I get the response "all of that to say you were driving an unregistered vehicle" and maybe I will tell the judge that, it'll be great. All I have to do is pay fines, My question is how long to I have to wait, or how can I get that off of my record since it is only a misdemeanor. and ONCE AGAIN please take your rude self else where, I see how people get helped on these boards is by ignorant people who shouldn't even be allowed to come in contact with another human being.
I am not being rude.

I am telling you the truth.

To find out how long this will affect your driver's license, call the folks in your state who issue driver's licenses and ask them.

cyjeff

If you think we are rough, wait until you hear a judge...

That, on the day of your trial, will have heard the words "I was HONESTLY holding it for a friend" about a million times.

seniorjudge

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable. Ask about drug court, if applicable.

From marbol:

“Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a ‘vibrate’ position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR IT VIBRATE! [SJ’s edit: Turn the damn thing off. Period. End of story. Even if. Better yet, leave it in your car.]

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.”

(Better yet, don’t carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)”

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/wife/ex-wife/niece/grandma/grand-daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled/crazy and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job/military posting in [name a place five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this. (This conflicts with number 5 below, but that hasn’t stopped some defendants from using both.)

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.” Or, another variation: “I was forced into it by a bad guy!”)
Hints for court appearances

Public defender’s advice
best of craigslist : Some Advice From Your Public Defender

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">