• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Gun Rights Restored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

br0ken85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I have a nonviolent felony conviction (drug charge) on my record from 2005 in the state of Louisiana. My research has shown that Louisiana allows felons with a nonviolent conviction to have their gun rights restored if they do not have any other convictions for 10 years after their original conviction, which I have not. Are my gun rights automatically restored? If not, can someone point me in the direction of somewhere I could possibly find information on what needs to be done to have these rights restored. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lost & found

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I have a nonviolent felony conviction (drug charge) on my record from 2005 in the state of Louisiana. My research has shown that Louisiana allows felons with a nonviolent conviction to have their gun rights restored if they do not have any other convictions for 10 years after their original conviction, which I have not. Are my gun rights automatically restored? If not, can someone point me in the direction of somewhere I could possibly find information on what needs to be done to have these rights restored. Thanks in advance!
I'm going to out on a limb but,
have you tried a gun store yet? they are sure to be the most knowable on the subject of your queries.

..____________________________
~ Life is pleasant.
Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome.~ Isaac Asimov

FlyingRon

Provided you were not convicted of possession a drug whlie committing the drug crime, you are right that as far as Louisiana is concerned, your firearms rights are automatically restored after ten years (provided you don't have any more convictions). See La RS 14:95. Your eligibility for a concealed permit however does not get restored if I read things right La RS 40:1379.3.

If you need further help, there are a whole slew of attorneys that specialize in firearms rights cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">