• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Half a Pound of Pot and Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jako

What is the name of your state? Illinois.

On Monday, the 27th of November, I was caught with less than 2.5 grams of marijuana at my school, which is only a misdemeanor. As I was awaiting arrest and suspension, I was talking to my dean and my social worker about the situation and told them I had more pot at my house. Coincidentally, the officer at my school walked by as I said that and when they finally got me down to the station the officer at my school asked me about it and said simply telling the judge he heard such a statement would be sufficient enough to get a warrant, so I confessed in saying that there was, and they found eleven ounces of pot at my house. Couple hours in the jail cell, I was released to my mom. Later that night my mother and I had an altercation and she called the cops on me. My girlfriend came over, the scene escalated, I flipped my mom off and the cop that came grabbed my arm. Involuntarily, I tried to pull back from it, because of its unexpectedness, he started to twist my arm, and with everyone yelling I had no idea what to do, and he put me on the ground and put me in the car. Now, I'm sixteen years old, I'm not really sure if that has anything to do with what I'm gonna say next, but the cop never read my rights at all. He arrested me, officially, for assault and resisting arrest. That's on top of two felonies I was giving for the pot in my room (possession of 30-500 grams and intent to sell).

Now, my question is this, what am I to do? I feel like my life is kind of spiraling down and I have no control over anything. Also, do I have a case against the cop? Seeing as how he never read me my rights and, I have about six witnesses to say this, that he wrongfully arrested my for "assaulting" and "resisting" him?

BelizeBreeze

On Monday, the 27th of November, I was caught with less than 2.5 grams of marijuana at my school, which is only a misdemeanor. As I was awaiting arrest and suspension, I was talking to my dean and my social worker about the situation and told them I had more pot at my house. Coincidentally, the officer at my school walked by as I said that and when they finally got me down to the station the officer at my school asked me about it and said simply telling the judge he heard such a statement would be sufficient enough to get a warrant, so I confessed in saying that there was, and they found eleven ounces of pot at my house. Couple hours in the jail cell, I was released to my mom. Later that night my mother and I had an altercation and she called the cops on me. My girlfriend came over, the scene escalated, I flipped my mom off and the cop that came grabbed my arm. Involuntarily, I tried to pull back from it, because of its unexpectedness, he started to twist my arm, and with everyone yelling I had no idea what to do, and he put me on the ground and put me in the car. Now, I'm sixteen years old, I'm not really sure if that has anything to do with what I'm gonna say next, but the cop never read my rights at all. He arrested me, officially, for assault and resisting arrest. That's on top of two felonies I was giving for the pot in my room (possession of 30-500 grams and intent to sell).

Now, my question is this, what am I to do? I feel like my life is kind of spiraling down and I have no control over anything. Also, do I have a case against the cop? Seeing as how he never read me my rights and, I have about six witnesses to say this, that he wrongfully arrested my for "assaulting" and "resisting" him?
Well, first this is SHUT THE HELL UP! Your mouth just bought you a world of trouble. And doing dope is just plain stupid.

As for the assault on the police officer, you are guilty. Easy call.

Now, GO GET AN ATTORNEY. The pot at the home is questionable.

Jako

Hahaha, you potheads sure are funny. Thanks!
On the contrary, I despise "potheads". I've smoked pot a maximum of four times in my life. And when I received the pot for free, I saw a route that could lead to money for my family and for my college. My motives for selling are noble by virtue.

You Are Guilty

On the contrary, I despise "potheads". I've smoked pot a maximum of four times in my life. And when I received the pot for free, I saw a route that could lead to money for my family and for my college. My motives for selling are noble by virtue.
Oh! Why didn't you say so in the first place? There's your defense right there. No judge in his right mind wouldn't believe it, they'd have to let you go.

Good luck!

AJAlkaline

Well, first this is SHUT THE HELL UP! Your mouth just bought you a world of trouble. And doing dope is just plain stupid.

As for the assault on the police officer, you are guilty. Easy call.

Now, GO GET AN ATTORNEY. The pot at the home is questionable.
Is the fact that he wasn't read his rights significant at all? Do you know where he could find a comprehensive description of what assaulting an officer means?

EDIT:
And give the kid a break. He's a little self-righteous, and extremely stupid, but he is honest about only doing it so he could go to college. Right now we're just trying to determine if he's ruined any chance he could've had.

Last edited:

Jako

Oh! Why didn't you say so in the first place? There's your defense right there. No judge in his right mind wouldn't believe it, they'd have to let you go.

Good luck!
Simply trying to defend myself from the "pothead" label. I'm not in the mood for accusatory banter. And I wasn't detailing my motives for justification, now was I? Like I said, that post was defending myself in some degree from pompous, lambasting 30-somethings. Now, let's cut the snide talk. I came here to get legal advice.

Shay-Pari'e

Is the fact that he wasn't read his rights significant at all? Do you know where he could find a comprehensive description of what assaulting an officer means?

EDIT:
And give the kid a break. He's a little self-righteous, and extremely stupid, but he is honest about only doing it so he could go to college. Right now we're just trying to determine if he's ruined any chance he could've had.
You must be the girlfriend, because you are as dumb as he is.

BelizeBreeze

Yes, it's called the yellow pages and the answer can be found under the heading "ATTORNEY"
EDIT:
the kid is an idiot. PERIOD. No one here hasn't gotten drunk, stoned or stupid. But the majority of the world also doesn't have 1/2 pound of dope in their PARENT'S HOME, mouths off about it and attempts to evade the police.

He doesn't deserve a break. He deserves an ass-whuppin'

Happy Trails

EDIT:
Copy and paste.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

Jako needs to get his noble butt to an attorney.

Shay-Pari'e

In a NUTSHELL, you won't be going to college.

tranquility

Spiraling down? Dude, the only thing in your favor right now is that, absent anything else you aren't saying, you probably won't be tried as an adult.

It's good that you recognize you are messing up. I don't think you know to what extent yet. You may have messed up your support system (mother) to help you through the criminal matter. 16 years old is a little young to start out with assault and drug convictions without the help of parents if they want to make something of themselves.

The first legal step is to get an attorney. The first personal step is to recognize it is unlikely you could *ever* pick yourself up if you get any lower--so dedicate yourself to changing your life. Family relationships need to be rebuilt. Friends who are involved with your drug habits need to be dropped. You need to deal with your addiction. (Any one with that much pot is either addicted, a dealer, or both.) You will need help to do this, but the first step is the decision.

Take it for what you will, but one thing I've found to be a rock in my life has been God. Taking Jesus as my personal savior has changed my life. Really. As a person who has been above all that religion nonsense the majority of my life, I recognize that many of the benefits I receive from belief would have occurred even if what I believed was not true. The mere process of believing in something above and beyond one's self and trying to figure out the reason for everything and then trying to modify yourself to fullfill that purpose is an astonishingly powerful thing. Start by praying. Every day. Anytime you fear or have doubts. Ask for guidance. Ask to believe. I promise you it will help--even if no one hears. But, I think someone hears. Someone who knows everything about you and still loves you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">