• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have I committed a criminal act??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kvsouth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Please keep in mind that I RARELY visit the doctor, as I have no insurance, and only go when I absolutely must (which is less than I should be).

Well, I visited a doctor well over a year ago because I have issues w/ anxiety and depression, always have. She (well, actually I know now it was the nurse practioner I saw) prescribed prozac. I took it for a couple of wks and it made me feel awful. I called the doctor and they told me to wait another week or two. Well, that didnt work so I changed to another doctor, mainly bc I didnt feel they were listening to my complaints. As a consumer, I have the right to change dr's , right? I explained to him *the new dr* what happened, what I was on , what the doctor said and everything. Long story short, I decided to stick with this doctor as he seemed to really care. He tried me on several differnt antidepressants and klonipin. Well, all of the antidepressants made me feel worse, and coming off was horrible, so I quit taking those, and I refuse to ever get put on them again. Since the klonopins helped, and I could take them as needed instead of constantly, he decided to keep me on those. All of the records/refills are legit. They are all from one doctor (him), but I did refill at different pharmacies throughout the year due to cost benefits (I dont have insurance, and, again, dont I have a right to fill meds where I want?) and other times, convenience. Everything was signed for, anyone can see it's all legit/legal and I never thought twice about it.

It's been probably about 8 mos since I've seen him (or any doctor, and keep in mind he has been the only doctor I've seen with the exception of the first visit to the original dr.) in the past 6 years--with the exception of a dentist. I was out of refills so I called and left a message with him that I needed a refill and but he probably needed to schedule a visit since I had not seen him in so long. He's a wonderful dr, but not the easiest to get on the phone or an appt with. I never heard back that day, so I called again the next day. The nurse called me back and said, yes, he called in a refill for me, but since I didnt give a pharmacy name, they just used the very first pharmacy from a year earlier. So I picked it up, but she did not reschedule me for an appt.

About a week later, I started having major abdominal pains and migraines (I've never had migraines or those stomach pains). This had been going on for the week, even w/ the klonopins, and I knew it had to be stress related, as I have family issues going on where they had to leave the country for medical care (us dr's couldnt help), and I had to take over the business by myself while they are gone. Since it's just me running the show, a self employed business, I don't have hours to wait at a dr, and I was worried about the pains in my stomach mainly. Couldnt get a hold of my regular dr, and it's impossible to get in to see a doctor you've seen before right away, so I thought I'd try to get back in to the very first female dr I ever saw since she's just around the corner, they always answer the phone, and I was already on record there (thereby also making the visit cheaper).

I told them I needed to make an appt, they wanted to know what for. I briefly told them that I was under a lot of stress, klonopins normally work, but I do NOT want to be on antidepressants. I figured during the appt I could go into more detail, I just wanted to be in the schedule book asap. Well, the doctor contacted me and right off the bat said, I dont prescribe benzos and if you wont take daily meds, then I suggest you go to another doctor. Exactly like that--I was taken aback. No questions about my history since Id seen her, what my symptoms were, what my motive even was, or what other dr's I had seen. She immediately made me feel like a criminal, and yes I got defensive, but remained respectful as I thought I misunderstood her. I said, well, isnt it a good thing to not want to take daily meds (I figured I had DEFINTILY misunderstood her). She then contacted me back and told me I had klonopins filled the week before, at what pharmacy, and that Im visiting multiple doctors, and that I am discharged from her practice, and that if I give her a bad review over the internet she would be forced to "take recourse". WHA??!!!!

I proceeded to explain to her that I did not appreciate what she was implying,and that she had NO basis for recourse. I also said that yes, I had Klonopin, yes I got them from 1 doctor, and how can she jump the gun like that without even seeing me. But I did thank her for saving me money from even seeing her now that I see how unprofessional and rude she was. I was literally crying to her office staff because she had me that upset and I was already feeling physically horrible and stressed.

Well, I did end up giving a review on her bc consumers SHOULD know what happened. I've also STILL not seen a doctor either, as now Im too upset and scared to think that maybe I am doing something I can get in trouble for. I know you have to disclose what dr's and meds you're on when you see a new dr. I did that when I switched from her, and , had I gotten an appt with her this time, I would have done the same thing. I did not need more klonopins as I already had them, and I was not using multiple doctors, I've only seen that ONE in a total of 6 yrs minus the ONE time I was able to get into her office. Her response to my review was that I was trying to obtain controlled substances inappropriately and that I was seeing multiple doctors.

I need to know, have I done something I can be prosecuted for? I feel like an absolute criminal now, and although I know I need to see a doctor, I wont after that threat until I know Im not doing something wrong! As I said earlier, ALL of my prescriptions are legit, documented, and from the same doctor (and it was only one script a month for klonopins (the only narcotic), another time it was antibiotics, others for antidepressants, most of which I never refilled, etc.). I never even got the appt with this woman so I never had the chance to disclose anything, so how can she accuse me of trying to get controlled substances illegally??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

kvsouth

I didn't think so, but I never thought a professional would make an empty threat like that! Maybe out of spite bc I switched dr's on her in the first time? I dont know...

I know dr's can pull up databases on pt histories, so I know she can tell what I've had filled, or what doctors I've seen. Like I said, I have anxiety issues, and I know Im blowing this out of proportion but it's driving me crazy! I did think of something else, do you think this possibly could be what she's talking about? A few months ago I had to have a tooth extracted, it was causing me so much pain. That dentist prescribed one wk's worth of pain pills and one valium to take before the procedure. Could that be where she's pulling the multiple doctor/controlled substances thing from? And I still don't see where that has anything to do with the price of oranges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">