• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guerrilla.peace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm currently at the mercy of a narcotics detective. I was a medical patient and got pulled over after supposedly selling out of an alley. They searched my vehicle, brought a dog in to access my locked trunk, towed my car and took me to jail. The next day, just before my parents came with bail money (unknown to me), a narcotics detective took me into a room and told me that I should cooperate. I didn't tell him anything, but he's still having me call him once a week and says that, to keep from charging me, I have to do a bust over thanksgiving, even though I told him I was going out to visit family. I obviously don't want to skip my plans to do that bust, but my actual question is this:

I want to study abroad next fall, and I'm wondering how long he can continue to hold this over my head and keep me here. What's the statute of limitations on this sort of thing, and is what he's doing even legal?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Assuming they want to charge you with a felony, they would have a good 7 years or more to do so.

They want to use you as a CI or confidential informant. It's done all the time and is legal. It is not recommended for a lot of reasons, namely personal safety, but the choice is yours ultimately. You should get a good attorney to review any deal and make it binding or they will use you indefinitely.

You didn't say if they found anything in the car or not or any idea of how strong their case was. These things should be considered as well.

CdwJava

I want to study abroad next fall, and I'm wondering how long he can continue to hold this over my head and keep me here. What's the statute of limitations on this sort of thing, and is what he's doing even legal?
The state has three years in which to bring these felony charges. What he's doing sounds legal and is done with some frequency. It's up to you whether you want to cooperate or not. But, if you do decide to cooperate, get an attorney who can work out a deal with the DA first. Be careful, you might find yourself charged and arrested by Thanksgiving.

- Carl

guerrilla.peace

I spoke with an attorney already, he said that, based on the fact that I only had a sixteenth of an ounce of medical cannabis and a ball of medical hash no bigger in diameter than the flat end of a pen, they don't really have me for intent to sell. But the kicker is that they found a pay/owe sheet, without names on it. So, to summarize, case? not great, but not terrible. The attorney I spoke to said that he would be able to get it down to a misdemeanor without much of a problem, but thats 7500 precourt and another 7500 if it went to trial. I don't have 15 large. I smoked weed, I didn't sell coke.

I'm living in total fear, calling this intimidating detective once a week, and I'm wondering if there's any way out of this for me, since I'm not really in contact with any narcotics dealers (and not sure if i would turn them in if i was) and I'd really rather not go to court. Any experience with appealing to these guys some other way?

He (the attorney) also talked about something along the lines of influencing a minor, since the people in my car were 16 and 17 and I was 19.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">