• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP Leniency recommendation 1st possession marj charge & underage alchohol GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

georgiamom333

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My son was arrested 2 weeks ago for underage possession of alchohol (breathilizer test) and possession of pot (maybe enough for a joint or two at the most), both misdemeanor charges here in Georgia. He is 17 (graduating high school) and has a friend in from Atlanta and thought they would have a good time over the weekend. Spending the night in jail was just the beginning of the consequence of the youthful indescretion that may be ruining his future. This really is the first time he has been caught doing something like this. He is not perfect, but is generally pretty mature, active in church youth group, pretty good grades, good leadership abilities, etc... He also has been very honest since this incident about telling us the several occasions he has ever experimented with pot. He was interested already in going into the military and looking into joining the National Guard or joining ROTC. This mistake will now require a special wavier if at all available to continue those plans. Does anyone have any recommendations on what specific things we should be attempting to do between now and his August court date to get the most favorable treatment on both of these charges?
The sooner he can be done with the consequences, the sooner he can get on with his life. He is not a drug addict or an alcoholic, but a stupid kid who make a terrible mistake and is trying to pay for it as quickly as possible and get on with his adult life. He has learned a great deal from this mistake and is anxious to move on and never get into this sort of situation ever again. Thanks for your recommendations!

reyn562

Not to worry

In all probability, since this is your son's first offense, I am sure there is a diversionary program that offers defenders, especially juvenile first offenders, can participate in which, instead of going to juvenile court and facing traditional juvenile justice, he can face a diversionary program where he would complete community service hours, drug counseling, and the order to complete a research essay related to the crime he is charged with. I realize that having marijuana and underage to alcohol is the wrong approach to a teenager who is getting into the ROTC program, but I hope this teaches him a lesson and he can go down the right path. Meanwhile it would be recommended that counsel be retained if possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">