• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Me!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

college_student

New York

Just as I get back for summer vacation, I am driving around at 1 am, and there is a undercover cop car stopped in my lane, facing oncoming traffic, just sitting there, talking to someone on the sidewalk, so i wait, it doesn't move, so i pull around it and keep driving. then, it comes out of nowhere and starts flashing it's lights, so i pull over right away. I had a bowl and not even 10 dollars worth of weed in my pocket. They claim that i am "nervous", and ask me to step out of the car. My PBA ( card that recognizes my connection with a high-up official) is expired and therefore they say that it's not useful. I have the bowl and the weed in my pocket, and they get out of the car, and search me, and I confess that i have it in my pocket before they search me.

Anyway, I break down, and I tell them that it was my first time to ever be charged with something, I was really stressed out and everything, and I honestly don't normally have it on me. They didn't care and they had some guy come and arrest me. As he was bringing me back to the precinct, he assured me that this "wasn't really a big deal" and it "wasn't going to interfere with jobs". I got to the precinct, got finger-printed, and everything and had to sit in a disgusting cell for 4 hours until 4 am, when my parents came to pick me up.

I just recently came back from court from this case, and I don't know what happenned but they said i have 16 months probation and i had a 500 dollar fine, did they have grounds to do this? when will my charges be dropped? and i don't have a probation officer or anything, what happens if something happens before the 16 month period is over, say

a speeding ticket?

possession of alcohol?

intoxication?

loitering?

littering?

unlawful gathering?

anything that normally wouldn't end in an arrest, would it now, since i have these unfair charges on me? someone please inform me asap. thanks

college_student

the charges are unfair because it was such a miniscule amount, and it's NEW YORK!! since when is such a small amount such a big charge? i feel that it's such a scam for money, but i got a misdemeanor charge, does anyone know what is exactly considered a "violation" of probation??

FlyingRon

The weed itself would have gotten you off (if you had a clean record), but the pipe is paraphernalia and that is NOT decriminalized. It's a misdemeanor. It's too late now, but you sure as hell should have had legal help on this.

If you are convicted, your charges will not be dropped. Just about any other conviction will be a technical violation of your probation. How big of a deal it is depends on what you are do. Loitering might get you off with a warning, further drug charges will get them a bit more disturbed at you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">